Crankshaft questions..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ZoomZoomZoom;1723937 said:
My shop really doesn't want to use this crank.

Do they say why? Seems kind of a silky thing to say. People have been using them for 20+ years with no problems.
It's lighter to so it will rev faster and will be just as smooth if you counter balance it.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
as im reading this, im starting to wondering whats better for power and street car between the 7m crank and the 6m crank? i have both so i would like to know before i start my project.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
1 is lighter and the other is heavier and counter balanced. Both have the same stroke and do the same job.

Less rotating mass revs faster.

Ij used both in the same motor and iirc the 6m crank held up better. Of course both were lightened counter balanced and knife edged and were revved to 8300+ rpm.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1724299 said:
1 is lighter and the other is heavier and counter balanced. Both have the same stroke and do the same job.

Less rotating mass revs faster.

Ij used both in the same motor and iirc the 6m crank held up better. Of course both were lightened counter balanced and knife edged and were revved to 8300+ rpm.

They were ALL revved to 8300 in the standard configuration, only the 7M got lightened and knife edged for the final 7M build.

6M
crank01.jpg

7M
crank02.jpg

Lightened 7M
crank03.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
6m is lighter. 7m is 7lbs heavier and is better balanced.

Its a toss up in stock form. You want the engine to rev faster or rev smoother.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
hvyman;1724027 said:
Do they say why? Seems kind of a silky thing to say. People have been using them for 20+ years with no problems.
It's lighter to so it will rev faster and will be just as smooth if you counter balance it.

The neck was damaged by the harmonic balancer. It unevenly wore the material on the neck. My shop feels that removing further material to "fix" it would be detrimental. I have already bought a new balancer and pulley (OEM). Now I've learned that finding a 7m crank is very difficult. How hard is it to counter balance the 6m crank?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Any good machine shop could do it.

I was curious at why they say to use the 7m crank? There is no difference in journals or stroke both are interchangeable.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
If the nose is screwed up from the harmonic ballancer coming loose, it isn't worth fixing, as it would have to be welded up, and recut.
A lot of work.
OK is your restoring a 1940 Messerschmitt ME109 crank, not worth doing on a Supra crank.

There are 7M (& 6M) cranks hiding everywhere.
I have tossed them before for minor things like a burnt rod journal.
I have a spare, and kind of want to keep it just in case, but for the right $$, I'll sell it.
I know I can come up with another.

But just look for people doing the 1J swap stupidity, they are probably going to trash the whole engine, and won't mind pulling the crank out and shipping it for a small fee.
I see them all the time in the for-sale sections, both 6 & 7M.
Look in some of the Cressida forums, as all 7M Cressidas came with the 7M crank.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
hvyman;1725774 said:
Any good machine shop could do it.

I was curious at why they say to use the 7m crank? There is no difference in journals or stroke both are interchangeable.

They don't - I do. ;)

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
IJ had the 7m crank lightened to 6m weight and balanced / knife edged. That is the overkill "ultimate" crank choice

if u arent going to do this i would go for a 6m crank and then balanced with the rotating assembly due to the lower weight of the 6m crank.