Crankshaft Pulley Bolt...STUCK

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
My car should have been done a long while ago but life never seems to make room for those kind of things. It's an 89' Turbo 7M-GTE. My problem right now is the crankshaft pulley bolt. I have a screw driver holding the fly wheel in place (what the Haynes manual said) and I have broken so far two no name ratchets and a 200 dollar Matco ratchet easily on this bolt :cry:. Ive even busted out the huge breaker bar, but this bolt goes no where. I even went as far as jumping on the ratchet and I for sure weigh over 200lbs.... I was told it is not reverse threaded so I know I'm turning it the right way. After putting the motor back together and starting it up I noticed oil was leaking from behind the pulley, I'm guessing I need to replace the gasket behind there. Any one have a tip or some help? Thanks.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Let your large breaker bar rest against the car or the floor and bump the starter. Make sure the car is disabled from actually starting.

Or you could just use an impact of great stature. GL

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
use a high-torque pneumatic impact wrench. A 600 lb-ft mac impact gun removed my pulley bolt on the engine stand...without securing the crank...

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
stop using rachets and buy a 1/2 inch breaker bar from parts store and a 1/2 inch socket for the bolt. Is is 17 or 19mm? You may have to put some heat on the bolt without heating up the balancer. the balancer has rubber in it that you dont want to heat up. you loose a lot of force with a breaker bar when the engine is in the car because the 89+ motor mounts are soft. the left mount is probably broken and the engine swings over when you put force on the bolt.

when using the starter doesnt the wrench sit on the ground on the the left side of the car (drivers side)? been a while since i thought about which way the motor turns.

BUY A NEW BOLT. DONT REUSE THE 7M BOLT. many a crank has been destroyed because people reuse the $7 bolt which can not stay put any more because the large washer shape does not have the spring strength to stay on the crank. I will loosen and allow the balancer to wobble then you will hear a low rpm thump when the balancer is wobbling on the crank. then bolts wont stay tight for long. even at 180 ft lbs if the flat surface doesnot have any spring tension the bolt will work loose.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
if you torque the bolt properly, using a suitable lubricant, the preload achieved through tightening the bolt will keep the bolt from backing off.

The cleanliness of the threads on the bolt and in the crank are essential to attain adequate preload (this may be why some have more success using a new pulley bolt). If you have dirty threads, a good portion of the applied torque is going toward overcoming friction due to the debris, and not toward loading the bolt.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
anti sieze the bolt too, makes this ohh so much fun job, alot easier if you have to do it again.

never heard of NOT replacing the crank bolt before when its removed, on any vehicle.

bgim

Nov 16, 2007
-
I personally use a lot of leverage. A good 19mm impact socket, a 1/2" breaker bar that is about 2ft long, and an old strut tube left over after upgrading shocks on a vintage celica. I put the strut tube over the end of the breaker bar for better leverage. I would rather have enough leverage and have control over the force I apply than jump on a ratchet handle. I have gone to as long as 4ft when I'm really, really sure I'm turning the right way and have a good connection to the bolt. I'm always surprised how easy it is to immobilize the crank with all this leverage on it.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
FWIW... 'standing' on the ratchet isnt going to break it free. if you had given it a good STRONG kick, it should have come off, but invest in some god damn air tools. took mine off in 3 seconds.

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
Rennat;1117919 said:
FWIW... 'standing' on the ratchet isnt going to break it free. if you had given it a good STRONG kick, it should have come off, but invest in some god damn air tools. took mine off in 3 seconds.

I didn't just stand on it, I was hopping on it lol. My friend did have tons of tools and all the air tools but his dad moved and took them all in the middle of the rebuild so we have finished it all with muscle lol.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Halsupramk3;1116497 said:
stop using rachets and buy a 1/2 inch breaker bar from parts store and a 1/2 inch socket for the bolt.

ONLY use a breaker bar. Rachets used for more then 100 ft/lbs:3d_frown:
I used my 1/2 breaker bar with a 5' pipe on the end of it to get the bolt out.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
I weigh 195 and have jumped and kicked many a breaker bars, And i have found pulling straight up to work better... I don't know why but for me it works much better for me. Just don't use your back or you'll fuck it up.

Congrats on getting it off!

P.M. me for some balls... i got a extra middle nut.