Cranks but then suddenly stops.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Ok I'm realllly scared of the responses I'm going to get but here it goes.

Just finished a HG job.
Checked everything over then tried to start it.
It would crank but would also make another noise.

So I redid allll the timing. Everything is for sure TDC this time. (Apparently I didn't check over everything correctly...)The dizzy was off by a lot and the cam gears were off about 1 tooth each.
Now it cranks about 3-4 times then suddenly stops. Like someone throwing a stick in a crank on a bicycle....
I've tried it about 3 times.

Any ideas? Anything else you need to know to assess this?

BTW, I'm gonna compression check it tonight after my friend gets off work with the tester.

EDIT: Just though of this. I'm not 100% sure my fuel injector clips are all in the correct places. Could this be the problem possibly?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Just go thru things and make sure everything is hooked up and right. Check your grounds. Will the motor turn freely by hand?

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Motor WILL turn freely. How easy should it be by hand? I usually just use a socket wrench and a 19mm on the crank pulley.

but yeah it will turn freely.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
So I hooked all the injectors up right cause 4 of them were wrong. Tried to fire the car and it ALMOST started. And then it went back to the usual crank then stop. So now I dunno what to think... I guess I'm missing something.

...maybe its the battery? I've never seen where a car would crank then suddenly stop like that though if it was the battery. Usually it winds down if the battery is dead, its not sudden. Or is it? You tell me.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
sounds like you need to pull plugs... maybe a fresh set... tripple check injector plugs... make absolutly 100% sure they are on right....you need more help with that ?
and make 100% sure you got dist in right and wires right....
any or can you take any pictures of how you have things now ?

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
HommerSimpson;1050858 said:
sounds like you need to pull plugs... maybe a fresh set... tripple check injector plugs... make absolutly 100% sure they are on right....you need more help with that ?
and make 100% sure you got dist in right and wires right....
any or can you take any pictures of how you have things now ?

Yeah I know the injector plugs alternate in color starting with white at #1. So I'm kinda sure they're in right...

Wires are on the dizzy right and on the plugs right.

Haven't pulled the plugs.

And sure I can get any picture you want within about 5 minutes.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Crappy pics I just took. Tell me what you wanna see and I'll get better ones (AKA use the flash)

p1050870_1.jpg

p1050870_2.jpg

p1050870_3.jpg

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
how are you seting up number 1 on distributer ? you sure its at tdc on #1 piston and then the rotor pointing to number one well just past #1 i think it is.....

Ive only set mine up and im turbo... so i can only ask if you got it right... but maybe some pics of were the dist rotor is pointing with the timing marks lined up...it might be 180 Deg off...

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
IJ.;1050880 said:
Timing is still wrong Ben.

Evening IJ ... Morning there right ?

got oil pump today... so with luck she run again tomorrow... still gota build engine LOL

Im gona be heading out to shop soon and work on car.. Keep eye out on this thread from him.. i think hes gona go take some pics of were he has everything and i dont know what a N/A even looks like under the dis cap lol

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Thanks for the help Hommer

IJ: The timing has to be right though! OK, I'll run ya through what I did to get TDC when putting it together.

-Cams went in and I positioned them so the middle hole of the three at the end of each cam
was facing straight UP.
-Put the cam gears on.
-Put the pins in. Awesome! Cam gears are lined up with the timing marks.
p1050890_1.jpg

-Crank pulley was moved to the "0" marking.
p1050890_2.jpg

-Timing belt went on and I made sure nothing moved.
-Distributor was adjusted so that the indent on the gear was aligned with the mark on the distributor itself.

TWO PICS. I'm not sure if the gear is supposed to be set like the first or second pic. I'm not sure it matters too much when just trying to get it started. The difference between the two pictures are that in the top one the marking on the gear is about a tooth upwards compared to where it is in the bottom pic.
p1050890_3.jpg

p1050890_4.jpg

The only thing I havent checked like 4 times are the cam's position in relation to the cam gears as that requires me to take off a lottt of stuff.

What else is there?

Last edited:

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
TurboFreak;1050890 said:
Thanks for the help Hommer

IJ: The timing has to be right though! OK, I'll run ya through what I did to get TDC when putting it together.

-Cams went in and I positioned them so the middle hole of the three at the end of each cam
was facing straight UP.
-Put the cam gears on.
-Put the pins in. Awesome! Cam gears are lined up with the timing marks.
p1050916_1.jpg

-Crank pulley was moved to the "0" marking.
p1050916_2.jpg

-Timing belt went on and I made sure nothing moved.
-Distributor was adjusted so that the indent on the gear was aligned with the mark on the distributor itself.

TWO PICS. I'm not sure if the gear is supposed to be set like the first or second pic. I'm not sure it matters too much when just trying to get it started. The difference between the two pictures are that in the top one the marking on the gear is about a tooth upwards compared to where it is in the bottom pic.
p1050916_3.jpg

p1050916_4.jpg

The only thing I havent checked like 4 times are the cam's position in relation to the cam gears as that requires me to take off a lottt of stuff.

What else is there?

Make sure the number 1 piston is at top dead center

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
If the crank pulley is at the "0" marking the #1 piston should be at TDC...

I'll go double check that its TDC though.

EDIT: Yeah its TDC.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
IJ.;1051183 said:
Remember there are 2 TDC's ;)

Crank crank Lock sounds like it's 180 degrees out.

isn't that considered bottom dead center???

Turbofreak...shine a flaslight in #1 piston sparkplug hole and make sure you are not bottom dead center....that would be some funny shit if you are!