crank shaft pulley removal problem

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
this dam bolt is pissin me off. the motor is out of the car so i cant really do the starter technique. i bent a screwdriver putting it in the starter gear to hold the crank from spinning and i bent my crankshaft removal tool. i felt like i was gonna break my ratchet too lol

question is..is the thread on the bolt standard or reverse on the 1jz. :1zhelp:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If it's on the engine stand, take the pan off, wedge a 2x4 inbetween the crank and side, and counter clockwise the pulley bolt with a breaker bar and impact socket. I used my dash brace as a lever for mine, was a piece of cake. gl.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
NewWestSupras;1389297 said:
If it's on the engine stand, take the pan off, wedge a 2x4 inbetween the crank and side, and counter clockwise the pulley bolt with a breaker bar and impact socket. I used my dash brace as a lever for mine, was a piece of cake. gl.

I sort of do that. I take a 6 inch extension wrap it with electrical tape so it's not metal on metal and put that in between the counter weight and block.

That is also how I get flywheel off.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
92TealSupra;1389317 said:
I sort of do that. I take a 6 inch extension wrap it with electrical tape so it's not metal on metal and put that in between the counter weight and block.

That is also how I get flywheel off.

Big chunk of wood would spread the load better, doing it this way you're putting a LOT of stress on the cast iron and it's not that strong there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No one needs a window in the block ;)
(if you have a junk block around give it a whack with the ball end of an engineer's hammer inside the block above the pan rail you'll be surprised how easy windows are)

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
NewWestSupras;1389297 said:

its not on a stand so that option has to be obselete. although it sounds alot easier lol ive removed my friends crank pulley off his 7m but its a USDM spec so i dont know if the thread pattern is reverse or standard US spec. does it come off counter clockwise or standard clockwise, righty tighty lefty loosey or lefty tighthy righty loosey:cry:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
ive done it with the engine w/o a pan on an engine hoist with wood (or wood and crowbar) really easy the engine barely moved. i also keep a driveplate handy from auto JZ's instead of using a flywheel

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
ok so i may just go for an impact gun now lol here is the aftermath of what happend to my socket. i used a long ass breaker bar and a 1/2 drive ratchet. always thought the ratchet would break before a socket

p1398678_1.jpg

p1398678_2.jpg

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
IJ.;1398680 said:
What brand was the socket?

bought it from pepboys. its not craftsman. my craftsman 12 pt. socket slightly stripped the bolt so i bought a 6 pt. socket. ive never had any of my sockets break this is the first

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Couple of tips if you do try an impact, get an unplated socket and wear eye protection ;)

I don't think a good quality brand name socket would have broken like that using a cheater bar.

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
IJ.;1398689 said:
Couple of tips if you do try an impact, get an unplated socket and wear eye protection ;)

I don't think a good quality brand name socket would have broken like that using a cheater bar.

yea some of my sockets are from pep boys and they never let me down. i may just go to my friends shop and get him to use an impact gun on this. i dont wanna strip it to the point where i have to go to a machine shop and pay a tremendous amount of money to get that off. what should i do before i borrow a truck and drive it to the shop?? can i go to home depot and borrow an electric impact gun?? manual impact driver?? heating it up?? wd40?? PB blaster??

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
jza240sx;1398686 said:
bought it from pepboys. its not craftsman. my craftsman 12 pt. socket slightly stripped the bolt so i bought a 6 pt. socket. ive never had any of my sockets break this is the first

yea you don't wanna use a 12pt to a 6 pt. crank pulley bolt, I work at Autozone and we have 1/2 inch drive impact sockets that are pretty sturdy, I've had my set for 4 years now and they're still good, they're made by great neck but thats about the only good tools they make, the rachets are garbage.

Tjay

Sep 20, 2008
Alberta
I used a 1/2" makita impact drill for about 30 seconds to loosen it up, then used my standard husky brand 1/2" socket wrench with the bar for my jack attached as a cheater bar.. worked like a charm :D

jza240sx

Formerly jz240kouki
Jul 18, 2009
New Jersey
IJ.;1398718 said:
I'd try the cheater bar and an heavy wall impact socket (not a big fan of rattle guns)

Once it's off remember to replace that bolt!

first thing im doing is replacing the bolt once its off lol

i used the cheater bar on the breaker bar and that shit broke my 6 pt. :cry: