Crank pulley keeps coming loose

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
For the second time in a two years, my crank pulley has come loose, destroyed the woodruff key, and either streched the pulley inner surface or worn down the crank.

The first time it came loose I replaced the pulley and torqued the bolt down as hard as possible with someone locking the flywheel down.

If I remember correctly the pullley isnt supposed to be a press fit but pretty close right? Right now the pulley goes over the crank and when the bent up key is in, the pulley can be wiggled around a bit.

I guess my question is can the crank be saved somehow if it has been deformed. Is there some kind of machining, or a sleeve or something that can prevent me from having to replace the crankshaft. Im pretty sure its the pulley thats out of round but I dont know until i get anothere good one to try.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ryan

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Leverage Suze....

A long screw driver with a short fulcrum point and it's bugger all effort to hold it.

RATTLE GUN! now there's a good way to induce failure from a stepped shank bolt like the one Toyota used! :(

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Suze: As I said it's all leverage....

If you get it right with a long enough lever you could hold it with one hand while someone cranks the bolt down with a torque wrench.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
Archimedes

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
And thats whats crazy to me is that I know I got 200ft/lb on that thing as I am used to torquing 500ft/lb lugnuts all day at work. So i dont know how its coming loose. I have heard that that is a "yeild to torque" bolt if I remember correctly. What exactly does that mean? I am guessing it means that you can only use it once right? Maybe thats my problem....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Which takes longer? Typing "I have heard that is a "yeild to torque" bolt if I remember correctly. What exactly does that mean?" or typing "yield to torque" into Google?

Since TTY fasteners are tightened into their plastic region they can't be used again. The crankbolt isn't torque to yield or the manual would be specific in stating it couldn't be reused. Not to mention TTY fasteners require special tightening techniques the manual doesn't mention. Ours isn't TTY. It's true many crank damper bolts are TTY but they'll break rather than loosen if resused.

If the crank is OK then solvent clean the threads on it and the bolt and install using a medium strength threadlocker.

Last edited: