CPS Wiring repair....

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
Quick question guys.....

Is there a wiring repair kit for the CPS? I am mainly looking for the plug on the cps. I bought another CPS that was sold as good but the connecter is broken and the shaft is shot to hell (worn and leaking throught the housing) so I just want to repair mine.

If anyone has a part number if such a kit exists please let me know ASAP....:)

Thanks.......Pete

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
If I were you I would solder my connection and get rid of those bad factory connectors. If you computer does not receive the ac voltage from the cps then your car doesn't start. So think about it. I would solder the connection so that I know my computer is going at least get the voltage.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Fwiw I had my car 22 years and it departed with the same undamaged CPS connector that came on it new. Nor did I ever have to mess with it in order to start the car. Not once. I understand it's a common problem but the reasons for their failures are not difficult to understand and wholly preventable.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jetjock;1464407 said:
Fwiw I had my car 22 years and it departed with the same undamaged CPS connector that came on it new. Nor did I ever have to mess with it in order to start the car. Not once. I understand it's a common problem but the reasons for their failures are not difficult to understand and wholly preventable.

Usually comes about on cars with missing exhaust side heat sheilding JJ ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, that and ham fisted owners who don't know how to disconnect it ;)

There's also the short piece of heat shielding over the turbo coolant hose and the silicone shielding over the CPS wiring. If you saw how it comes from the factory you'd understand. Over time that stuff disappears and the connector ends up baked. Kind of like why the nearby 90 degree coolant hose often blows out...

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
just jump cut the connector and splice straight from the harness into the cps like i did. u just have to take a note of where which wire goes wear and it sucks if u have to take ur engine out lol

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wait a second, why would you guys actually solder the wires together?! There is a connector there for a reason. Just get a new connector from Aaron @ DM ^^ and solder on a bit more wire and use the real connector.

I had this problem on my first turbo a couple years back and simply soldered the broken section back into good shape, connector intact and all. It worked just fine. ;)

Letsride

Aug 26, 2009
NC
BKCressida1718;1464530 said:
just jump cut the connector and splice straight from the harness into the cps like i did. u just have to take a note of where which wire goes wear and it sucks if u have to take ur engine out lol

Reading owns you.....:) >>>>>
Letsride;1464404 said:
I would if I did not have a brand new harness. I dont want to hack it up....:)

Big A.....a call is on the way.

Thanks.....

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I had to remove my CPS and was just wondering do you have to have it ligned up to anything? Do you have to have the cams at TDC to reinstall it or does the computer just take over for you?