CPS Whining Noise?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Below I have attached a picture of my CPS.

I am getting a continuous whining noise that I beleive is coming from the cps.

Is there supposed to be an O-ring at the end of the shaft after the gear?

If so, could this cause an abnormal noise?

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• CPS 1.JPG
    CPS 1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 73

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
A rebuild is my last option on the list to find the culprit of this noise.

Is there an o-ring missing?

veedubin

Official SM Decals
blk92suprat;1463984 said:
Below I have attached a picture of my CPS.

I am getting a continuous whining noise that I beleive is coming from the cps.

Is there supposed to be an O-ring at the end of the shaft after the gear?

If so, could this cause an abnormal noise?

Thanks for the input!

I'm not trying to thread jack, but your whining noise, describe it, please. I just started my car today and it has a nasty whine coming from somewere up top of the engine. Although mine sounds more central to the back of the head, I'm wondering if we are not experiencing the same issue. if it's any help, mine is a freshened up JDM 7MGTE. My whining noise is heard when throttle is closed, noise goes away when throttle gets opened. Are these symptoms similar to yours? Also, If it does turn out to be your CPS, I might have an extra one laying around that is known good.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
veedubin;1464287 said:
I'm not trying to thread jack, but your whining noise, describe it, please. I just started my car today and it has a nasty whine coming from somewere up top of the engine. Although mine sounds more central to the back of the head, I'm wondering if we are not experiencing the same issue. if it's any help, mine is a freshened up JDM 7MGTE. My whining noise is heard when throttle is closed, noise goes away when throttle gets opened. Are these symptoms similar to yours? Also, If it does turn out to be your CPS, I might have an extra one laying around that is known good.

I believe we are experiencing 2 different problems. Mine gets louder when the throttle is open. (only idled, havent driven yet)

The car is in perfect running conditon.with 70K...I then tore it down to upgrade the turbo, fuel system, exhaust, electronics..ect.

Upon my first start up after 4 months, it started right up fine and idles/revs terrific. The only problem is this whining noise. I think this abnormal noise I am experiencing is coming from the CPS and it gets progressively louder under throttle.

I have looked in the TSRM and the CPS does seem to have an O-ring at the very end of the shaft. I will be placing an order at the dealership and will update on this. Hopefully the noise IS being generated from this missing o- ring....otherwise keep on going down the list.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The dealer is going to tell you what IJ already did: the only O ring that's supposed to be on the thing is there. And assuming there were an O ring where you believe one goes what do you think it's purpose would be and why would a missing one cause whine?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
nosechunks;1464599 said:
There is no o-ring at the end of the shaft.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1902&P=2

19107A Goes around the housing just above the finned portion, yours is present, Seems relatively intact, thats not the cause.

IJ's observation of the gear eating something is most likely the issue, hes usually correct with diagnosis.

Okay so there is only ONE o-ring on the CPS. The page in the 92 TSRM is misleading and shows one at the end of the shaft but the link posted above shows a much better diagram.

So what about this...if the timing is off a little,would this cause the whining noise or cause any noise at all? Is this possible?

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
are you getting mixed up with the PS pump? those do make noises if theres low oil, or no oil at all, just giving that out before you start buying stuff, would be good if you have a automotive stethoscope to find out where the noise is coming from.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
No, its definetely the CPS making the noise. I sounds like its coming from the inside by the gear.

I set the timing and the noise is still here.

The mystery is it was functioning properly...i took it off (sat for 4 months) and reinstalled it and now it makes this whining noise. What could have gone wrong taking it off and putting it back on?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Does anyone have a known working spare CPS that would'nt mind sending to me to see if this solves my whining noise. I would pay shipping both ways of course. Or if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
id be pulling the valve cover to look at the camshaft side of this problem, id bet you have a damaged gear on the cam. that wear mark on the middle of the cps gear is abnormal and whatever caused it would definately cause a whine.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
fixitman04;1465507 said:
id be pulling the valve cover to look at the camshaft side of this problem, id bet you have a damaged gear on the cam. that wear mark on the middle of the cps gear is abnormal and whatever caused it would definately cause a whine.

I've seen many pictures and all the cps gears have those markings on them.

One thing I have noted is that the cps gets very hot quickly so it may be hitting something slightly causing noise and heat. I will lift the valve covers and take a look next chance I get.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
if i had to guess the bearing is no good, bearings can whine when they are junk, like kai said could use a rebuilt right now, if you look thro his link that he posted, theres pics and theres a bearing, and that could cause your problem.

also would you be able to post a video of how it sounds?

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Heavy D;1465982 said:
if i had to guess the bearing is no good, bearings can whine when they are junk, like kai said could use a rebuilt right now, if you look thro his link that he posted, theres pics and theres a bearing, and that could cause your problem.

also would you be able to post a video of how it sounds?

I tried to record but the noise was so distorted it was useless. I'll try to get my hands on a dig. video camera and see it the sound quaility is better.

As for the bearing, maybe I could hook it up to a power drill and spin it to see if it makes any abnormal noise from the bearings?

Sometime this week I will attempt this and also lift the valve cover to see if I see any wear or anything.

Will Keep Updated.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
ok...So before I started taking parts back off to do what I mentioned in the previous post, I decided to first start it up again. Once the engine fully warmed up (~82C) the noise went away...but you can still hear slight whining under load/throttle. On prior occasions I shut down the engine before 75C.

In conclusion, this leads me to beleive the bearing is going bad. Maybe the bearing dried out sitting over the last few months in the garage but none the less, I will be performing a rebuild when spring time comes around.

Hopefully I can get a few nice days this winter and I can start enjoying all my new goodies I added.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and the useful link for the cps rebuild.