CPS connector rewire

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I picked up a female end CPS connector to replace my current one that just fell apart on me but I didn't realize it didn't come with pins. The old one is destroyed, what kind of pins do I need to fit in there? I tried taking it to a local parts store and they weren't much help. Are they available from Toyota or is there a name/number I can give the parts guys on these pins so I can get something?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Doesn't look like those, but I took a look at their "CPS Female Connector 4 Pin" and in the description it said 090-II pins. Now I just gotta find a place that I can get some quicker than shipping from California :(

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'll give him a call tomorrow. I guess worst case scenario I could redo both sides and replace the connector with whatever. That weather pack connector looks like your typical trailer hitch connector, would that work fine?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If that's the case, how do you think Bill would feel about taking a trip to Abbotsford...lol. At least the connector fell apart at work, so I didn't need to get it towed anywhere, but it's still inconvenient.

I talked to the shop foreman at the GM dealership I do some work for and he said he's probably got some pins. So at this point, crossing fingers.

Last edited:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
They found some pins that fit perfect and I've got the connector with tails coming off it now. Should just be able to crimp/solder/heatshrink and we're good to go again :)

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
I'm curious about how this turns out because I had the same issue and I just hardwired it, cut the plug off and connect each wire directly to each other... Does anyone see any problem with this?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
It's functional hard wired, but if you need to work on the CPS, pull the head, etc etc it becomes a matter of cutting and redoing it. Do that enough and you'll likely end up wrecking the line at some point.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just waiting for my crimpers to arrive from my buddy's place and then it's going in. I'll give you the thumbs up once it's idling ;)

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
I accounted for that and added an extra 4 inches to the wire and crimped and taped and heat shrink on everything. And fortunately the previous owner had the head gasket done correctly by a shop less than 1000 miles ago so knock on wood, the head doesn't have to come off anytime soon LOL. Good luck with yours and I hope it's running soon.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Well, thumbs up for the new connector working great, thumbs down for finding breaks on the other side of the other original connector and having to go replace that now :(. On the bright side, when I bought the connector, I got both sides, so I have the pieces, just got to pull the CPS so I can put it together properly :)