Cops pulled me over today..

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Out here, the law is written in a manner that if your vehicle is modified in ANY way other than the way it was when it came off the assembly line, it is a violation.

My buddy just got a ticket two weeks ago for having a 'Modified' exhaust. Not loud. 'Modified' as in 'Other than stock'. His exhaust is a JIC and is only a hair louder than my HKS Super Dragger. Which isn't very loud.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
lewis15498;1374742 said:
I dont think the cop gave him the ehaust ticket because of his exhaust. I think he gave him the exaust ticket as in "listen, we both know you were speeding, and I gott a give you a ticket. On the other hand I dont want to ruin your life so instead of the speeding ticket I'll just give you this exhaust ticket, so your insurance doesnt go up." I'd take that over a speeding ticket any day!

+1! Even when cops are trying to be nice people say its BS!

CajunKenny;1374829 said:
Out here, the law is written in a manner that if your vehicle is modified in ANY way other than the way it was when it came off the assembly line, it is a violation.

My buddy just got a ticket two weeks ago for having a 'Modified' exhaust. Not loud. 'Modified' as in 'Other than stock'. His exhaust is a JIC and is only a hair louder than my HKS Super Dragger. Which isn't very loud.

Time to buy a scion and get dealership mods i gues haha

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
lewis15498;1374742 said:
I dont think the cop gave him the ehaust ticket because of his exhaust. I think he gave him the exaust ticket as in "listen, we both know you were speeding, and I gott a give you a ticket. On the other hand I dont want to ruin your life so instead of the speeding ticket I'll just give you this exhaust ticket, so your insurance doesnt go up." I'd take that over a speeding ticket any day!

That is exactly what was going on... I shook his hand after and thanked him. He could have really fucked me in the ass... But he didn't know how fast I was going he asked if I knew and I told him I wasn't looking at the speedo. Then asked if i would agree it was over 60KM and I gave him that much.. The ticket is worth no demerits was exaclty what he said so it shouldn't affect my insurance at all.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
lewis15498;1374810 said:
I know for a fact that a speeding ticket is 2 points here. I could be wrong but the exhaust ticket is 0 points, not 1. According to my insurance agent, the only violation others than a moving violation that gets you points, is if you have an invalid inspection sticker, and seatbelt tickets, because those 2 things make you an increased risk of a payout. Even if it is 1 point, one point is better than 2. This would probably be a good question for Adjuster.

the exhaust actually does put points on your license, ask me how i know... i've lost my license because of that before. same goes for tint.

CajunKenny;1374829 said:

thats how the exhaust law is here in MA. any alteration is technically "illegal"

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
Evidently, you live in a shithole of a state then. I doubt there's anywhere else that puts points on your license for exhaust tickets as they're non-moving violations.
And tint? What the fuck is going on in mass...Wow, that's just ridiculous.

kotu100;1374879 said:
the exhaust actually does put points on your license, ask me how i know... i've lost my license because of that before. same goes for tint.

thats how the exhaust law is here in MA. any alteration is technically "illegal"

CanadianLurch

Oct 14, 2008
Alberta
I have gotten pulled over by a cop outside of Lethbridge Alberta for absolutly no reason and the cop told me that my exhaust was a little loud but not loud enough to give me a ticket (1jz with 3" downpipe exhause with no cats and 3" input 5" output muffler magnaflow) I think the cops here just like looking at our supras so they pull us over for a better look. (Not the case when I got pulled over doing 53+ over...oops)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
mc_h;1374920 said:
Evidently, you live in a shithole of a state then. I doubt there's anywhere else that puts points on your license for exhaust tickets as they're non-moving violations.
And tint? What the fuck is going on in mass...Wow, that's just ridiculous.

yea it is, mass is a shithole, with even shittier laws.

i plan on trying to get the law changed so they don't count as moving violations. it prolly wont happen, but i can try.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
tlo86;1374855 said:
if he didnt measure it himself, fuck it fight it.

Ha... He did measure it. He took a carbon imprint of the tip. He was like wow I don't even know if this will fit on my sheet and it is 4.5 inches wide. I was like ya the diameter of it is 4.5 inches... I am not going to fight this one. I would rather just pay it seeing as how he really could have messed me and my driving career up pretty bad..

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Cops here in new hampshire really dont give a damn about exhaust. It's only the younger cops that try to be asses about it.

My friend actually asked a cop about it and the guy said theres no restrictions here in NH for exhaust except that you need a catylitic converter on it, no straight pipes.

I've gotten pulled over 3 times for my exhaust and all of them asked if i had straight pipes and they let me go with verbal warnings.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I just got pulled over tonight.The cop was doing about 15-20 in the left lane I passed him at like 35 in a 30 I think.IDK LOL so he pulled me over and said o whats up man I guess you got a new car sorry about that just slow down :naughty:

It's nice to know cops..

p.s.I was a bit tippys to

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Whoa, nice to hear a Harley was ticketed for loud exhaust. While leaving a festival yesterday walking down the main drag of the city towards my truck 5 Harley's went blasting by. Conversations had to stop. Some pops were loud enough to sting your eardrums.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
This is why I like my HKS sport turbo exhaust. Looks, and sounds OEM. I have yet to be harassed by the boys in blue. But If I ever do get pulled over They will need several tickets to fill out all the things not DOT or state of Mn. approved :evil2: :biglaugh:

supradupra315

Oct 17, 2008
syrcause
man i had the same thing done to me too. it was the very first day i got my supra out of storage for the winnter and it was just turning night fall. i cruzed around with my friends for a little got some gas and drove him home right down the street. right when i pulled out of his street onto the main road i see a cop speed up really fast on my bumper and turn his lights on. im like fuck! my mom said if i got a ticket she would take the car away:aigo: (17 at the time) he steps out cheaking if i was drunk and stuff. dose all his stuff then comes back and says alomst the same thing. i could write you a ticket for your tint and your back blinker is out. but im only going to give you a warning !!! for your exhaust...and i think the only reason he let me go was because i said " i just got the car out of the storage today so its a little loud from the settled exhaust." :sarcasm: i have a 3' magnaflow exhaust