Cooling system Stop Leak products?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. Anyway, wanting to know if anyone has had any good experience with this sort of thing? I was recommended Alumaseal or Bars Leak Stop Leak (for coolant systems).

Reason I ask, I discovered my heater core has a small leak in it. Not the end of the world, as that can be bypassed, but I do live where winter temperatures are frequently below 0* F. I've already driven one winter without a heater (my Mk2's isn't working), and I'd really rather not go through another like that.

Thoughts, oh wise SME's? :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You are correct - wrong section - moved to General.

Concerning the coolant system stop-leak products - use them if you really want to trash all your coolant passages. Including the block.
How about forgetting a quick fix that will just induce other problems and fix or replace the heater core.

Who

Supramania Contributor
snake_and_oil.jpg

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Dont do it, those should only be used in an emergency situation on a road trip. Like Jdub said, it will plug up the coolaing system and make a mess of it, esspecially with the turbo producing so much heat in the system. I used this stuff once on a raod trip in my F150, the shroud wore a small hole into the rad. I got a bottle of this from a gas station, I was able to make the next 2 hours dive to our desination without any leaks or problems. I then had the rad repaired and flushed the system thoroughly. I would never run this stuff as a perminant solution.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well fuck my life then. Suppose I should flush the coolant system out this weekend then. I put a tube of Alumaseal in it Sunday afternoon. I most definitely appreciate the input, but I do wonder how much damage that little tube could do in a cooling system with that much capacity? I mean, it takes ~3+ gallons of coolant just to fill the radiator alone (PWR)...

Is the damage already done then? I haven't had the best of luck with this car to begin with, but I don't want to intentionally do something stupid (like this), you know?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Flush it - right now, or stop running the motor and you might minimize the impact this crap will have.
Might want to check for an answer next time - it's not like it took days to get one. Geez.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Probably because forums hold 90% of the answers we seek, and experience teaches us the other 10% we need.

For whatever reason, I'm finding a few other threads in the "similar threads" thing at the bottom of the page, but didn't come across any when I searched for "stop leak". Perhaps this is a good idea for a sticky somewhere, so maybe others can avoid this headache.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I know this thread is pretty old but wanted to share my experience with stop-leak. When I was younger, I got a big bottle of stop leak for my old celica. The radiator really did stop leaking but the temps increased alot. It wasnt alarming so I kept pushing the old thing until one day "BOOM" my radiator hose EXPLODED when I was a block away from home. Pushed it home, checked it out took it to a mechanic, needed a whole new head since mine cracked. The first question he asked me when he saw the car was, "Stop leak?"

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
Stop leak is crap. Most people don't realize it is not a solution just a band-aid. I had one truck that I bought 2 years old, then 8 years later had to replace the radiator and heater core because some idiot put stop leak in before I bought it, I had no idea. Cost me $1800.00 to fix.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's embarrasing that someone has bought this up, Stopleak is something people and used car salesmen use to get rid of a problem NOT a product you'd use on a car you wanted to keep... :nono: