Coolant temp sensor

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
Can a bad coolant sensor make the car run sluggish? I have a 91 turbo stock. On the first start up, it runs normal but when it reaches normal operating temp, it runs sluggish.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Define "runs sluggish"? Bad throttle response? Laggy? Lack of power? Stuttering/missing? Are there any codes?

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
radiod;1752242 said:
Define "runs sluggish"? Bad throttle response? Laggy? Lack of power? Stuttering/missing? Are there any codes?

Throttle response and lack of power (all these things happen when engine reaches normal running temp). No check engine light. Have not run any codes cause I have no idea how :)

Dont know about shuttering. Still looking for words to explain myself.

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
jetjock;1752998 said:
A member since 2006 who doesn't know how to check codes. That's kinda odd. Anyway, what Nick said...

A member since 2005 and dont why people ask for help in forums? That's kinda odd too. Not everybody is a car guy. Just never had a problem ever since until now, so never had to check codes.... Why check codes if u have no problems. Is that a big sin to commit? Anymore smart comments? Anyway, thanks for the guys that helped.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Little touchy ain't we. Not checking codes and not knowing how to check them are different things. Anyone here since 06 should have read the procedure. After all it's been posted a zillion times. Course, reading the manual also works. And yes, not checking codes routinely even though there's no problems is a sin. That's also been posted many times. Even not car guys can read, right?

Ah well. Good luck fixing your car...

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
jetjock;1753163 said:
Little touchy ain't we. Not checking codes and not knowing how to check them are different things. Anyone here since 06 should have read the procedure. After all it's been posted a zillion times. Course, reading the manual also works. And yes, not checking codes routinely even though there's no problems is a sin. That's also been posted many times. Even not car guys can read, right?

Ah well. Good luck fixing your car...

Not everybody has time to play with cars like you do. You dont know how other people lives their life every single day. I have kids, full time work, full time school. The only thing i do to my cars are doing oil change, brakes and tune ups, and lowered suspension. Yeah, some people wonder why i know how to run FCF (Function Check Flight) on H-60 seahawks and know how to work on Predators (UAV) but not knowing much on cars. Its just because of not having enough time. All my spare time goes with family. Its good for you that you know everything about your car. Im glad your smarter than everybody else. Im just
thankful that there are is still people in this forums that is nice to help without being a smart ass.

And take your good luck back. Car is fine thanks to people in the forums except for you.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Whoa, there, bro. No need to get mean here! JJ was just poking fun at the fact that you've never had a problem since you joined- its kinda rare if you can understand :p

You will not find a more knowledgeable member here when it comes to figuring out why the TCCS is doing things that him. Its that way with many 'Old School' guys here because they hear the same problems time and time again with users that simply don't listen to what they say. Just think of something you do everyday, then have someone ask questions about it and never listen to what you say... gets old fast, right?

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
toyotanos;1753183 said:
Whoa, there, bro. No need to get mean here! JJ was just poking fun at the fact that you've never had a problem since you joined- its kinda rare if you can understand :p

You will not find a more knowledgeable member here when it comes to figuring out why the TCCS is doing things that him. Its that way with many 'Old School' guys here because they hear the same problems time and time again with users that simply don't listen to what they say. Just think of something you do everyday, then have someone ask questions about it and never listen to what you say... gets old fast, right?

I know that I will not have enough time to play with cars when my son was born. Thats why i kept the supra stock as much as i can so i worry less, cause like i said, i dont have time to work/troubleshoot. So far it paid off, i never had a problem with the car ever since. I know it gets old when people ask you same things over and over. I actually googled problems before posting in forums. I know there were older post about the topic. The only reason why i posted again is because i was thinking experts might have something new in mind.

It just feels offensive sometimes when people make comments like that. Thanks for the people that showed how to check for codes. I know newer cars need scanners, i thought supras needed older type of scanners but i was surprised how simple it was to check. Thanks again.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well I'm glad your Supra has served you well so far! I typically find that google searches for car problems typically result in more misinformation than a search in a Make/model specific forum (you'll still get some, unfortunately)

A couple pointers for your original post:
First would be more details. Lots of details = you've tested what you know to test and these are your results. We can use those results to eliminate possibilities and speed the diagnostics process.
Second would be any mods that you've done. It helps us determine if something has been done that's know to cause problems. If its stock, say its stock.
Third would be any recent maintainance you've done to the car (or maint you haven't done)
Last would be any specific conditions that need to be met for the problem to occur (parked on an incline/after its idled for an hour/after a boosted run/etc)

Post up that info when you have a chance and we'll see if we can help you figure this out! :bigthumb:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It felt offensive because you, unlike toyotanos, read it the wrong way. Like I said, touchy. That would be your problem, not ours.

You're right though. Not everyone can find time to help those too lazy help themselves. Fortunately such parasites can always find someone here who made the effort they didn't. I'm impressed by your ability to flight check stuff however. Must take real skill. I had to settle for being a lowly pilot.

And spare me the whining about time and family. Try raising two kids in the middle of a career change. Then try importing a wife and stepdaughter from a foreign country with a completely different culture and language. Try teaching them everything needed to function here and do it while being away from home a lot. Puleeeze. As you said, you don't know how other people live their life every day.

bsupra

Oct 1, 2006
California
jetjock;1753202 said:
It felt offensive because you, unlike toyotanos, read it the wrong way. Like I said, touchy. That would be your problem, not ours.

You're right though. Not everyone can find time to help those too lazy help themselves. Fortunately such parasites can always find someone here who made the effort they didn't. I'm impressed by your ability to flight check stuff however. Must take real skill. I had to settle for being a lowly pilot.

And spare me the whining about time and family. Try raising two kids in the middle of a career change. Then try importing a wife and stepdaughter from a foreign country with a completely different culture and language. Try teaching them everything needed to function here and do it while being away from home a lot. Puleeeze. As you said, you don't know how other people live their life every day.

You know what. u r the first one that started this.... That is why I said you don't know how people lives their lives because you started making comments like you do. If your getting tired of reading threads like this, why comments? This thread was not addressed to you in the first place. It is addressed to people that would suggest what to do, not for people to make smart comments. I worked with Pilots before in the Navy but never worked with a Pilot like you. Your probably a damn good pilot cause your smart and you know everything.... I wish I had a career like you... secured on everything... It just too bad that I never had brains and money to be a pilot.. your my idol... I'm a big fan... I am very glad that everything is working out for you...

And don't even say the lazy word... Please.... Your trying to sound like you know whats going on again... I cant believe you said lazy cause of somebody asking for help about car problems? I googled comments regarding problems I thought I was having before I posted this thread. Like i said, I posted this thread to c if the experts have something new in mind... Please don't even use the word parasite cause you have no idea... I can not believe I got called lazy and a parasite just for asking suggestions on coolant temp sensor.

I cant believe this thread came to this.... This thread was done when I said i had no codes then you jumped in...

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

toyotanos;1753195 said:
Well I'm glad your Supra has served you well so far! I typically find that google searches for car problems typically result in more misinformation than a search in a Make/model specific forum (you'll still get some, unfortunately)

A couple pointers for your original post:
First would be more details. Lots of details = you've tested what you know to test and these are your results. We can use those results to eliminate possibilities and speed the diagnostics process.
Second would be any mods that you've done. It helps us determine if something has been done that's know to cause problems. If its stock, say its stock.
Third would be any recent maintainance you've done to the car (or maint you haven't done)
Last would be any specific conditions that need to be met for the problem to occur (parked on an incline/after its idled for an hour/after a boosted run/etc)

Post up that info when you have a chance and we'll see if we can help you figure this out! :bigthumb:

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help..

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
bsupra;1753213 said:
You know what. u r the first one that started this.... That is why I said you don't know how people lives their lives because you started making comments like you do. If your getting tired of reading threads like this, why comments? This thread was not addressed to you in the first place. It is addressed to people that would suggest what to do, not for people to make smart comments. I worked with Pilots before in the Navy but never worked with a Pilot like you. Your probably a damn good pilot cause your smart and you know everything.... I wish I had a career like you... secured on everything... It just too bad that I never had brains and money to be a pilot.. your my idol... I'm a big fan... I am very glad that everything is working out for you...

And don't even say the lazy word... Please.... Your trying to sound like you know whats going on again... I cant believe you said lazy cause of somebody asking for help about car problems? I googled comments regarding problems I thought I was having before I posted this thread. Like i said, I posted this thread to c if the experts have something new in mind... Please don't even use the word parasite cause you have no idea... I can not believe I got called lazy and a parasite just for asking suggestions on coolant temp sensor.

I cant believe this thread came to this.... This thread was done when I said i had no codes then you jumped in...

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help..

You're doing it wrong...jetjock is expecting you to get down on your knees and, erm, 'thank' him. He belie- I mean, he IS, much better than any human being on the planet, who ever was or ever shall be.

I do believe this happened before, jetjock was blatantly wrong and another member politely corrected him. A hernia flared up and lots of chest-thumping ensued.

But to actually stay on topic, something that respectable members like Nick M and toyotanos do, when did this start happening? Did you fiddle with anything before this started occuring? There's a graph of what the resistance of the coolant temp sensor should be at different temperatures on cygnusx1 (the supra TSRM), I'd get it to operating temp and measure what it is to see if the sensor might have gone bad.