Coolant leak through exhaust manifold stud

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Apparently I tightened my stud too far into the head, so I guess it punctred the water jacket. So now I have a serious leak that I cannot stop. I tried RTV, silcone thread sealer, and teflon tape and nothing will seal it. Anyone have any better suggestions?? Thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Clean/degrease then Loctite the stud in using the Loctite Primer on all surfaces, let cure for a couple of days and you might get away with it.

I'll have a look at my Head section later but I don't recall there being water that close....

head8.jpg

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Thanks. It is the stud closest to the front of the engine.. I can't tell what part of the head I'm looking at in that diagram./\
I'm pulling the turbo and manifold off AGAIN tomorrow so I can clean the hole out thoroughly.

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
i cant imagine that the stud went in too far...i recently upgraded my studs and had to drill out the old threads...even then it didnt get any where close to the water jackets...may be a dumb question, but this is on a 7m head right?

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
here is a pic of when i drilled out the old threads-i went a bit deeper as well-no signs of getting anywhere close to a water jacket...i just dont see how it can happen. My guess is that it is leaking from the front water pipe rubber hose or the "triangle" shaped gasket from the water housing to the head.

Attachments

• supra 124..jpg
    supra 124..jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 45

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MRSUPRA;1576149 said:
Thanks. It is the stud closest to the front of the engine.. I can't tell what part of the head I'm looking at in that diagram./\
I'm pulling the turbo and manifold off AGAIN tomorrow so I can clean the hole out thoroughly.

That's the front of the head/ CPS mount.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm pretty sure its coming from the stud. The tip was wet when I pulled it out the first time. I'm thinking I might have cracked the head, since when I tightened down the stud, it dripped faster.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Local guy had a crack through the bolt holes where the rear motor lift attaches. His leaked oil though..

another reason to hardness test the head

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Here is what I found today.. There is a small crack about 3/4 inch long on the head right below the stud threads. It is dripping right at that point. I have no idea how the coolant can get to that location, although it is very close to the water neck area (the triange shaped area of the head). Could I fix this with JB weld?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
The head has a LOT of money into it, so if anything, I will get the head repaired eventially. I applied the JB Weld today, so hopefully it works..
Thanks everyone for the help.