Coolant coming out of overflow tank!

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
I noticed the supra was running a little warmer then normal the other day so I check it the coolant after it cools off and it was about a half gallon low. I havent had this problem until now. So I fill it up and drive it 30mi or so back home, check it again when I get home and its low again. I park it and havent touched it till yesterday. I toped it off with coolant and started it in the drive way letting it run for about 20min. Come back out side and I have huge water trail running down the concrete. The intercooler was wet right under the overflow tank so im assuking its blowing it out of the overflow tank. The overflow tank was slam full all the way to the top. What could be causing this? Maybe the hose bad letting it blow coolant out but not suck it in?

I know its not a BHG, Ive just replaced the HG with a felpro and ARP bolts about 300mi ago. It not leaking out of the exhaust only the overflow tank. Im going to try to get this fixed soon becuase the car is going up for sale this week sometime.

Thanks!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Trying burping your coolant system. The car will need to be up to temp, jack it up until the tail pipe is almost touching the ground. Heating on full blast, car running, keep an eye on the coolan level as it burps itself, temp gauge too.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
How old is your radiator cap? Test and replace if needed.

P.S. if you can't test it and don't know it's condition replace it!

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Ill run a pressure test and buy a new cap this weekend. Ive got a tester but its at my shop. I dont see how it could have another BHG I just replaced everything. And I can see exactly where its leaking from. It being blown out of the overflow tank.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
I've knwon plenty of fresh HG jobs reblow shortly after, if it was a faulty or shoddy install (not saying yours is) it has a 80% chance of doing so in the first 500 miles. and it definatly sounds like you're getting combustion into the coolant even if just a small amount.

my recomendations:
stay out of boost for the first 500 miles
check all of your coolant hoses, specially that tricky SOB on the back of the head as where that bend is tends to crack pretty easily. and the one that goes to the heater core switch has a pretty shitty clamp from the factory and most people don't think to switch that one out. i've seen that go bad plenty of times. if you have a open in your coolant system it won't maintain the pressure thats needed to keep the boiling point high and what you might be seeing is it boiling at a lower point then it should and flooding your overflow.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
try burping it like others said and maybe get the rad flow tested? i replaced my hg and it still got hot a little but not as bad as before i fixed it, then i got a new oem radiator and my coolant problems were solved. and while i was doing all that i got a new tstat and rad cap.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
No updates yet. I just made this thread yesterday. Ill get on it this afternoon.

I dont really have a problem with it running hot, it did that one time because the water level was low and thats it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not just a river in Africa......

DE
Nile_map.jpg

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
so how does the radiator cap work? how do you know when it goes bad? i know i have the same problem after i run my supra hard it spews out a little coolant right before i shut it off. but my radiator cap looks really old and crusty, but how does that affect my radiator fluid coming out of the overflow tank? im usually topping off once a month with radiator fluid.

Z'mnypit

May 2, 2007
Springville, AL
Well, I replaced the cap and drove it for about 15min and came back let it cool off and removed the cap. The coolant was still full but it did blow some out of the over flow tank. Which I kinda expected that when the over flow tank is full all the way to the brim with coolant. Ill try to drain most of it out and go drive it again.