Cold Weather issues

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Ok, today it is 4 degrees with a -10 degree wind chill up here in wonderful Indiana. Yesterday my 86.5 NA ran perfectly fine, So I can't help but think the problem is temperature related. This morning I went out to start it and after a lot of sputtering and dieing I finally got it to idle. After it was warmed up I got ready to leave and it died as soon as I gave it gas. So I restarted it and it seemed to run fine. After I got about halfway down my road I turned on the heat, As soon as I hit that button the car acted like it wanted to die again. Then every time I gave it gas it would bog, but as soon as I let out of the throttle it would idle perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be?

thank you,
Chris

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I would say it is the cold. All cars do funny things when it is cold out side. Shit this morning in Central Minnesota the temp. was -21 with a wind chil of a lot colder then -21 lol. My 04 caddy also died after I first started it up this morning. I was like WFT. But with a jump start it, letting the power steering pump wine, and 20 min minute warm up time it was just fine.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
So I have to ask. Is there anything I can do to help matters? I mean as much as it may suck...this is my only car, I can't afford to buy another one, lol. So are there any precautions i can take?

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Assuming everything is working properly & it's just the cold...

Buy a block heater (replaces freeze plug to pre-heat the coolant) &/or an oil pan heater (pre-heat the oil). You'll probably hear differing opinions on which one to run and why, but both should help your cold starts.

I live in the AZ mountains, and just put in a freeze plug block heater. I'm not done with the re-build yet, so I can't comment on how much it helps yet... sorry.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
I think I may have an oil pan heater laying around somewhere. My dad used it on an old diesel he used to have. I will look for it after work and give it a shot if I find it. Thanks for the replies.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Also you can try fresh oil, and filter. 5w30 or maybe even 0w30. Maybe even spring for Synthetic.

Park in a garage.

Try and find a battery warmer/heater, and use it.

Look at installing a block heater like DangoAZ said. It just might cost some $$$ to have it installed now.

I would also double check you antifreeze. Last winter I had my old caddy freeze up and took less then 3 min. to over heat in -10 air temp. (not good for a N* engine)

Other then parking in a heated garage, it is called cold weather, and cars dont necessarily like it.
LOL speaking of I just went out to warm up the V and now one of the tire pressure reader things isnt working. stupid cold weather.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Lol, oh believe me, if I had a heated garage I would keep my car in it. I am lucky enough to have a friend with a heated garage that lets me work on my car in it all the time. But I can't leave my car there. I will change the oil this weekend and see if it helps any. You recommended using 5w30 or 0w30, are these better for colder weather?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Just curious, why does everyone mention the wind chill when talking about their cars? You do realize that a 4 degree temperature with a -10 wind chill is still 4 degrees...It is not any colder because of the wind, it just "feels" colder (to you) due to the accelerated heat loss resulting from the wind. Once an inanimate object is at the ambient temp, it isn't going to get colder due to the wind.

As far as the OP's problem goes, IIRC, the NA has a flapper-door style afm. I'd check to see if this has become frozen up or is sticking.

Edit: For what its worth, my maxima starts without issue (knocks on wood) down to -35C, even without the use of the block heater. 0W30 oil helps a lot at the lower temps.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
adampecush;1208321 said:
Just curious, why does everyone mention the wind chill when talking about their cars? You do realize that a 4 degree temperature with a -10 wind chill is still 4 degrees...It is not any colder because of the wind, it just "feels" colder (to you) due to the accelerated heat loss resulting from the wind. Once an inanimate object is at the ambient temp, it isn't going to get colder due to the wind.

Thanx Adam, I'm getting my fill of explaining these to other people as well.
:icon_bigg muzy

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
I just mentioned the wind chill because I was freezing my balls off trying to get my car to move, lol. I will check the AFM after work. I also had a question that may relate to the problem, where on the temp guage does the needle normally sit at operating temperature? because mine usually sits about 1/8th of the way up, I have only owned the car for about 2 weeks, but I've never seen a car read that low before.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
say what?

weak battery.. etc

I used to see -30 and with the SUPRA. Never had a starting issue. At all. Just be sure to check battery PRIOR to the cold ass weather coming. ;) Once the cold weather is here.. it is too late then.

edit:

And just so we are very clear. That is -30 AMBIENT. As adampecush stated, wind chill is for humans. ;)

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Zapp;1208354 said:
I just mentioned the wind chill because I was freezing my balls off trying to get my car to move, lol. I will check the AFM after work. I also had a question that may relate to the problem, where on the temp guage does the needle normally sit at operating temperature? because mine usually sits about 1/8th of the way up, I have only owned the car for about 2 weeks, but I've never seen a car read that low before.

it should sit just a hair under 1/2 on the gauge. Chances are your thermostat is either a) stuck open or b) non-existent.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
adampecush;1208372 said:
it should sit just a hair under 1/2 on the gauge. Chances are your thermostat is either a) stuck open or b) non-existent.

I see, well that could very well be my problem. I will see if I can get into my buddies garage this evening to replace the thermostat.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
use 0w30 castrol syntec euro forumla. the best oil for our cars. idk if it would help or not but maybe laying a heated blanket on top of the engine to keep the top end hot they get about 90*.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Muzy;1208347 said:
adampecush;1208321 said:

Thanx Adam, I'm getting my fill of explaining these to other people as well.
:icon_bigg muzy

thank you!

man 4 degrees aint cold and i bet it aint causeing your problems. shit i'm running 15w-40 deisel oil in my tercell and half the time i forget the block heater(not good for nething i try not to forget!:3d_frown:) and its been like -30 this last week. no battery blanket either or pan heater;)

i would check your codes. maybe your vacum lines got brittle and cracked from the temp but i doubt it. you said when u turn the heat on car starts to run crappy, does it do this with other acc. like rear defrost, headlights...

as for the temp i haven't heard anything good about the stock temp gauge. a good quick check is bust out the ol infrared heat gun and see what your actual temp is.

Zapp

Dec 6, 2008
Chicago
Well I got it running after work yesterday. After I gave it a good 20 minute warmup it drove fine. I did however replace the thermostat yesterday and my temps still sit about 3 lines above the C on the temp guage. is there anything else that could cause this?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
92nsx;1208273 said:
Also you can try fresh oil, and filter. 5w30 or maybe even 0w30. Maybe even spring for Synthetic.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 should be able to handle those temps nicely. Castrol European Formula 0W-30 (Cerman Castrol) will perform well too.