Cold Air Intake

suprakid3

Feb 15, 2008
michigan
Is there anywhere you can actually buy a cold air intake system for a 87 7m-ge supra? all the places I checked didnt have them, so im thinking i have to make my own.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
i made my own just from parts i had from previous cars i owned. it aint true cold air and its looks kinda funny but it works for me and i like it cause its mine but i can tell you all the parts in it and where i got them from if you want.

rj_conerly

Jan 13, 2009
ruffin, nc
but to answer your question i haven't seen one and i'm still looking for one but the major companies like weapon r and aem and all those don't make them and its up to you whether you what to do the K&N FIPK or jsut make your own.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I bought a Spectre brand cold air intake through Auto Zone, an HKS velocity tube that attaches to the Lex MAF coupled with silicone rubber hose and attached them with stainless clamps. Attached those through the snorkle opening for the stock air box, and attached my favorite air cleaner behind the passenger side head light. Gets plenty of cool air even in Summer! Van

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ.;1229553 said:
Stock airbox is already a CAI...... :nono:

What have you done to your GE that you're outflowing the stock box and need more flow?

lol

correct! And the best part is that it is also plastic, keep the engine heat out!

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
My friend Swebb used a intake pipe from a 6v accord we found at autozone for like $80!!!!!!!!!! Worked good too but we had to block an extra vacuum line

p1229642_1.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1229553 said:

What have you done to your GE that you're outflowing the stock box and need more flow?

figgie;1229634 said:
lol

correct! And the best part is that it is also plastic, keep the engine heat out!

Using an apexi "power intake" (note that it is NOT a Cold Air Intake), I notice a substantial increase in torque from about 3k and on. I have tested it multiple times by swapping back the stock air box/filter and comparing the two and the difference is noticeable. Unfortunately, I dont care enough to spend 75 bucks to prove it on a dyno, but I can feel a difference and I tend to be very skeptical of N/A power gains. ;)

The only problem I run into is that on hot summer days after idling, the Apexi obviously gets affected by the heat. The car is a little more sluggish off the line after a few minutes sitting still.

I am in the process of making a shield box of sorts to keep as much engine heat out as possible.

I guess my point is that the stock filter set-up is restrictive on a stock car with stock exhaust when compared to an Apexi Power Intake. I can imagine the difference would be just as pronounced with a better exhaust as well. Maybe something like the K&N drop in filter would be an even better improvement since it is a better flowing filter when compared to the basic fram or purolator, but utilizes the stock CAI.

:dunno:

Maybe I'll sell my Apexi and try some of the drop in filters one of these days...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprarx7nut;1229686 said:
Using an apexi "power intake" (note that it is NOT a Cold Air Intake), I notice a substantial increase in torque from about 3k and on.

Sorry dude. It don't work that way. Notice is a "feeling" easily skewed by what your mind is "expecting" (ie the good ole placebo effect)

...I guess my point is that the stock filter set-up is restrictive.

based on what facts? Noticing? Again, feelings don't count.

When you measure pressure drop from one filter to the next. At that point you might have a leg to stand on with your your position. Until then, ancedotal at best but more than likely, pure speculation skewed by placebo.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
IJ.;1229553 said:

yes it is but very umm small

and i have sean gains form cold air swap befor that i made on dyno but was it huge not really was it worth my time doing ti for like 2 to 3 extra hp if remmber right

i guess i got to use power tools and hack saw

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I call BS for a couple of reasons Ryan...

the AFM is the restriction NOT the stock airbox opening and I can't think of a chassis dyno that's accurate enough to show a 2hp gain/loss even if you dyno'd the mod on the same day.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
figgie;1229698 said:
Sorry dude. It don't work that way. Notice is a "feeling" easily skewed by what your mind is "expecting" (ie the good ole placebo effect)

based on what facts? Noticing? Again, feelings don't count.

When you measure pressure drop from one filter to the next. At that point you might have a leg to stand on with your your position. Until then, ancedotal at best but more than likely, pure speculation skewed by placebo.

You're right, I don't have any facts to back it.

I guess I should be saying: I definitely feel a difference.

Fwiw, I expected better results when I first installed it a year ago. At that point placebo would have been very present. I have since gone back and swapped them in and out a handful of times expecting the stock CAI to be better. I should get a cheap g-meter and see if that can pick up the minimal difference.

Maybe once I get out of college and have extraneous funds I'll throw the car on a dyno and see just for kicks.

And I should clarify one statement I made:

I think the stock airbox is restrictive when used with a basic fram or purolator filter. The box might very well be better than the apexi when combined with an excellent filter, but I haven't seen any great filters available for drop in. The closest is the K&N filter, but I don't like the wet filters so I'm hesitant with that option.

All this being said, I'd stick with the stock air box. I got one hell of a deal on my apex'i. I would say it is NOT worth the 150 bucks you'll pay for it new.

**Edit to add IJ quote:
IJ. said:
the AFM is the restriction NOT the stock airbox opening and I can't think of a chassis dyno that's accurate enough to show a 2hp gain/loss even if you dyno'd the mod on the same day.

If I were searching for a substantial difference, I'd go after the AFM for sure. Just feeling how much force it takes to push that open is an eye-opening experience. CRE mentioned that as a major factor in his set-up.

Too bad fitting a new flow meter is not cheap at all...

Who

Supramania Contributor
Using an apexi "power intake" (note that it is NOT a Cold Air Intake), I notice a substantial increase in torque from about 3k and on. I have tested it multiple times by swapping back the stock air box/filter and comparing the two and the difference is noticeable. Unfortunately, I dont care enough to spend 75 bucks to prove it on a dyno, but I can feel a difference and I tend to be very skeptical of N/A power gains. ;)

The only problem I run into is that on hot summer days after idling, the Apexi obviously gets affected by the heat. The car is a little more sluggish off the line after a few minutes sitting still.

I am in the process of making a shield box of sorts to keep as much engine heat out as possible.

I guess my point is that the stock filter set-up is restrictive on a stock car with stock exhaust when compared to an Apexi Power Intake. I can imagine the difference would be just as pronounced with a better exhaust as well. Maybe something like the K&N drop in filter would be an even better improvement since it is a better flowing filter when compared to the basic fram or purolator, but utilizes the stock CAI.

:dunno:

Maybe I'll sell my Apexi and try some of the drop in filters one of these days...

AAAHHH! The all knowing ass dyno. I myself was using a Apexi filter on my 7mgte. I removed it and went back to the stock CAI about two month ago for two reasons. First reason is I didn't like the noise. Second reason is I swear I get better response with the stock cold air intake especially when driving in the city with stop and go traffic. The needle on the stock boost gauge might not move as high as it did before by a hair or so but it feels like the throttle response is better. The 7m runs hot as Hades and temp difference under the hood vs outside must be significant. Then again its all speculation seeing as how my ass dyno might be tuned different than yours.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In the real world I'd expect to see a loss in hp running an open element filter exposed to engine bay heat compared to a stock Toyota paper element in the stock airbox.

Again it's the placebo effect of the K&N filter and possibly some induction noise that makes people think "wow my filter makes a difference"