coilover question

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I dont mean to beat a dead horse but every thread ive looked at seems to turn into a argument about whether Megan's are good coilovers or not

so just to keep this simple I want great quality,I dont care about a million settings as long as I can dial it in for my car, stiff suspension doesn't bother me as long as it handles like a dream when I need it to

Melee_Falcon

Dec 3, 2013
Southern California
I personally have Megan Tracks that I use for daily driving and I think they handle wonderfully for being on softer settings and at a conservative height. I've had mine since last December and it has served me well for going to school, work, some spirited driving through small mountain passes, and even SIV2014 haha. I know another local guy that uses these for track events and he's pretty happy with them too. I also helped another local guy put his set of Megan Tracks and he's liking the improved handling from them. One thing that stands out is that some complain that these don't go low enough in the rear. Personally, I'm not a fan of slammed cars (at least for myself), but this could be something to consider.

The Megan EZ Streets tend to get a mixed response, I've known people that have been okay with them and I knew some that were really wishing they got a better set. I've taken a ride with EZ Streets and they seemed okay but not as stiff as the Track Series and I'm not sure how much better they take turns. It's a really popular choice though for the price.

CX Racing is also kinda cheap and around the price of Megan EZ Streets. Recently one of my friends just got a set from them with a stiffer spring rate they are starting to offer and it seems very much almost on par with Megan Tracks now since their previous rates were a little softer (I can't remember what their spring rates were exactly). My only complaint is that this set didn't fit perfectly in the front and we had to file the mounting holes slightly to get them to fit, but it's not very noticeable.

This is all based on what I've experienced and helped to install so I don't know how the higher end stuff compares to this entry level stuff.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I'm probably gonna get Powered by Max coilovers. They supposedly are the only ones that actually allow you to drop the rear considerably.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
the only coilovers under $1500 that you should consider are: BC Racing BR (excellent valving, dyno matched dampers, go decently low in the rear unlike most, available custom build/valving options), Stance (about the same as BC in every aspect including drop despite being a totally different company; great coilovers), PBM (decent valving, go crazy low F&R, usually backordered and made in Japan vs Taiwan)

Fortune Autos are more expensive, but they are also great coilovers. They have always been more track oriented and many S-chassis guys used to blow the dampers when used on the street. This has apparently changed in recent years, and they have always had STELLAR customer service and great custom build/valving options as well. Tenure is another thing to consider as these guys have been doing this a lot longer unlike all of the above.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stance and HSD are basically the same (more or less). I put HSD coilovers on my car. So far they are excellent. Very adjustable, and I find I have mine on 6/18 on front/rears right now so my wife wont complain. On 12/18 stiffness the car skips across bumps on the highway... very harsh..

I found that the Megans I had didn't really adjust like these at all. It was always harsh no matter what. Im guessing if I were to turn my coilovers to 1-2/18 it would ride like stock.

...may have to actually test that.. lol.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
yep, correct.

They are the same and always have been. Stance took the HSD product line changed the name and started marketing it here in the U.S.

I had a pretty in depth argument with a guy about this once and I started citing all my resources, and the guy flipped out. He of course had a personal stake in it all because he sold the coilovers for a parts company and also lived near the Stance facility, so he didn't like what I was telling folks. My whole thing is who cares, local support is local support, quality is quality, who cares about the name.

Anyways... good units.