Code 32...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I am trying to get my supra up and running. 7MGTE 1988 Turbo 5 speed. It started out with having a code 51 and a code 32. So I went through the whole process of adjusting the TPS to specs and then used a timing light to get the timing at 10degrees. I remember having to fight to get the CPS installed right. I know it is correctly installed now. So after I did the timing, the code 51 went away. But I still have the code 32. Right now, I have code 32 and the idle is jumping back and forth between about 900 and 2200rpm. I found my HAC and plugged it in under the glove box. But still it is idleing all funny, jumping back and forth. Maybe I need to reset the codes? What should I do at this point?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Oh. I went out and checked it out again after having the battery disconnected. I jumped the diagnostic box and got a constantly flashing check engine light. This must mean no codes. Without the box jumped the engine light comes on when I first turn the ignition then it goes away. So I guess now I just have a bit of a miss and a jumpy idle between 1000 and 1800rpm. Maybe the ECU just needs to learn? Hopefully someone has some input this is bugging me :D

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Disconnecting the battery I believe reset your engine codes.

The check engine light should be on with the key in acc or start position until you start the car and then it should go away.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
As for code 32 its the hac sensor assuming you have a 7m-gte.

The TSRM says the trouble area is the ecu.

Do you have access to try a spare ecu ? The hac sensor I believe is located inside the ecu and I remember reading theres a mod people were doing but can't remember why.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
K well it's nice to know about the engine light. I don't have any codes anymore. Just the bad idle. I'm thinking 02 or spark plugs. And I said I have a 1988 so my HAC sensor is seperate from the ecu. But I plugged it in and code 32 went away after I disconnected battery. I don't think the ecu is bad at all.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I left my car alone all night. I went back out there this morning and started it up. It actually idled good. RPM was up high like a normal cold start. Then it started to drop RPM as it warmed up and that is when the surging idle started again. So it only does it when it reaches operating temperature. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
OK so I found my egr was missing a nut on the intake manifold gasket flange. I got that on and the idle is now stable when warmed up. But still a high idle so I disconnected the battery. Now I will go back out and start it up to see if if idles lower.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Disconnecting the battery is going to do nothing but make the Ecu relearn. Ad not relearn around problems.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
OH K. No I don't have to give it any gas. I started it and let it idle for a long time. The idle never dropped. Stayed at 1500. And a code 52 appeared. Could a code 52 cause the idle issue? If not then maybe bad ecu...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well. I played around some more. I switched my knock sensor wires to see if I accidentally got them mixed up when I had the harness out. That didn't make the code 52 go away. I guess I really do have knock. Well that sucks. I have one more chance still. I think I may have loosened my crank pulley by accident a while back. I remember I left a wrench on it once when I tried cranking the engine. And, the way it is right now, when I push in the clutch and release it there is a high pitch sound. I can control this sound by pressing and letting go of the clutch pedal. So next I will tighten up my crank pulley and see if code 52 goes away. I hate codes!

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
What do you mean I can't? I've fixed all types of stuff. I already have an engine hoist so I guess I'm doing it.

"Diagnose" What's to diagnose anyway. Code 52 = knock sensor. Can be the ECU, wiring, or it actually has knock. 1500 rpm idle. That's all. Other than that it runs great and I'm gonna drive the crap out of it. I can't sit here working on it any longer. I just want to drift. BTW it's easy to say I'm failing. But it's hard to suggest the correct solution.