code 24(air intake temp) problem, but not afm?

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
Davenport, Iowa, United States
My car is sitting in a parking lot, the next town over and it wont' start. It cranks and cranks and cranks with nothing going on.
I have replaced afms...twice. I have replaced the tps(have I set it right? I must admit, I'm not 100% sure) I have replaced o2 sensor, I have spark(maybe not anymore...) timing is dead on, and I am getting fuel(it seems to be flooding?)

I threw a bunch of afm codes on my way into town, and before that even when I was getting it running from it's first little malfunction. Now I'm getting 24, even though though I replaced the afm...twice...

Does anyone know what it could be?
I'm going to double check the tps, and recheck for spark since I couldn't check it by myself in the daylight with my screwdriver. Another strange thing, every once and while when I check engine codes the thing just flashes maniacally with no pattern other than 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1. as opposed to code 24 which would be ...1...1.......1...1...1...1............1...1......1...1...1...1.. etc...

I'll give more info later on today-it's 7 am righ tnow and I just got home from a long ass night.

please help, it' sbeen two years to get it running and good and I"ve driven it 3 days before this happened....

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
If I have purchased two bad afms from two different members of this forums, i'm gonna go apeshit.

started it unplugged, or should i say "tried" with the second afm I had in. It tried to start a little better than normal, but it was so half assed-like...other than that-nothing

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
D34DC311 said:
is there neway to get a lexus AFM?

how is that going to help him? it's not.

if both AFMs act dead, you obviously have some wiring problems. clear codes and try again w/the "new" AFM and if the problem continues, triple check you have fuel + spark and check codes again.....then report back.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Yawgmoth said:
Another strange thing, every once and while when I check engine codes the thing just flashes maniacally with no pattern other than 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1. as opposed to code 24 which would be ...1...1.......1...1...1...1............1...1......1...1...1...1.. etc...
this one is that your codes are cleared and there are no codes to show. afm sounds bad still. dr j. what happened to you wanting all those dead afms?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
drjonez said:
eh? not sure what you're talking about....

thought there was a thread back on SF 6-8 months ago bout you wanting dead afm electronics for some reason..... either that or im just :nuts:

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
I have a brand new toyota wiring harness installed, and this problem started with me getting fuel and spark, so I'm assuming it's still the same...triple checking is still coming up though... and I'm towing my car home tommorow

Yawgmoth

Gonzo apprentice
Mar 31, 2005
update-car runs fine now(slightly rough idle, but not really noticeable) I'm guessing it was when I reset the ecu and it stopped throwing the afm code? wierd, actually it ran goofy for a few minutes still, then I tapped the tps and it went away, I'm so at a loss right now but fudge it, I fixed it, whatever it was.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
It's good to hear you got your car running good again. I had the same code, along with a 31 in my car and it ended up being the my S-AFC wiring had gotten loose-I suppose. I looked all over in the engine bay and thought of everything that I thought could've been causing it, and after I got nowhere, I took it to the dealer. It even took the Toyota tech more than a day to figure it out when he wanted to know if I had anything spliced into the ECU. After he removed the S-AFC it was fine.

Electrical problems blow.