Code 12??? WTF????????

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Code 12:

Diagnosis

* No "NE" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked.

Trouble Area

* Distributor, or CPS, circuit
* Distributor or CPS
* Starter signal circuit
* ECU

See: http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtip/engineerrorcodes.html

Most probably the wiring to the CPS are bad. It happens because these are 'near' the turbo and will wear out from heating every time. It's a common problem.

The CPS is located on the left side of the engine (intake side so to say).
Wiggle the wires around a bit and your car will most probablt start. Maybe you should disconnect the connectors and use a little spray to clean it, and then reconnect the connectors.

Good luck. :)

See attachment for details on the location of the cps

Attachments

• cps.jpg
    cps.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
i just replaced the plug on the Harness before the car came out on the road two weeks ago because the wires were messed up. How common is it for the cps to go bad??? Because i'm thinking it might just be that and not the wires but i will double check.

My rpms don't move when cranking the engine so it is CPS related.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
You guys are right its the harness. I over looked part of it.
I started the car today and jiggled the wire and the car shut off.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
dont hardwire it. either get new connectors and solder/heat shrink them on. (then use brush on electric tape over the heat shrink to prevent all corrosion) or get good marine grade waterproof connectors to solder in. hardwiring just causes problems when you try to remove your engine harness...

-shaeff

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
YoNkErS87t said:
Its not my connection its the wires going into the connector itself. I need to find another connector.

With a little work you can reuse the connector.
Make some photo's to make sure you can get it back in the way it was before you remove the connector, and after that just cut off all the wires, remove all the wires from the connector and re-solder all wires into the connector, and after that solder the new wires onto the existing wires where you cut them off.

Then you're ready to go for another 15 years!

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
I got a bunch of other connectors from the junkyard from other Toyotas, camry's, corollas, ae86's. Plus when I had code 12 even with a new connector, I replaced the cps wires across the cam covers with some newer wire. It was not pretty at all.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
I've got all the connectors I need for now. Tony in the bronx hooked me up. He saved me $400-600 on a new harness for now, but its in the future.