Cobra Wheels on a Supra???

Carl Johansson

Dec 19, 2009
fresno Ca
Ok Guys, I need your tire / rim wisdom. i have an 87 and an 88 MkIII. They are both used in the 24 hours of lemons racing series. doing pretty well too - as far as i'm concerned.
Anyway we want to step up traction, cornering and breaking. Right now we are running stock rims - with falken azenis 615's on them (225 X 40 X 16) Thats as wide as the y make that size.

So we found some Mustang Cobra wheels - 17 X 9.5, for cheap. I need to buy tires fro the next race - and right now we are debating what will fit under the car and not rub? we have cut down the springs 1 coil, so it is lowered.

I'm pretty sure we can fit 17X 255 X 40's under there - saw that setup on another supra - but he had 8.5 rims. Is it possible to go 275's all around? or should we stay with 255's?

Guys I need to know for sure, don't want to buy tires, show up at the track and find out then they rub - that would be the end of racing for that day -
so anyone know for sure?

Thanks
Carl Johansson
Auberry ca

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
What's the offset of the wheels? Front and back are 9.5? Most people run wider tires in the back. It might not rub when you first test it but it could still rub when the suspension compresses. Try looking at the stickied topics about wheels (sm.com and supraforums.com) because I was looking at one thread where people were fitting some really wide tires under there like 10.5 in the back. Some of them had outer fender mods/flares.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Gentlemen I also have a question for your collective wisdom, I just got a set of 96/98 cobra wheels. My stock lug nuts don't fit, I know the threads are M12-1.5 but the size of the lug nut itself is too big to fit, so I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion on lug nuts (non-acorns) that would fit. It is the outer diameter of the lug nut that keeps it from going through the hole in the wheel.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
ok guys i bought.. three 95 chrome cobra rims for $150. look incredible. im buying the fourth rim for $150. Can you say i got a deal? lol. They're 17X9 offset 24+. what is the thickest tire i can fit in the back & front.. etc.. what do you guys recommend?

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have those same wheels DJT. Just curious, what sizes did you end up fitting?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
89gte;1910776 said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have those same wheels DJT. Just curious, what sizes did you end up fitting?

Front: 245/45ZR17
Rear: 275/40ZR17

Rolled all four fenders slightly. I have a 2" front drop 7 1.6" rear drop & i still rub sometimes.