CNG Conversion

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Seen the electric conversion thread so figured I'd start this one...

my father in law's company is starting to make the kits to retrofit cars to CNG, I was wondering how this would work on a turbocharged car.. anyone have any ideas?

I'm curious about how to add the extra 'fuel' and what not.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
I know as far as the CNG Civic is concerned the parts are pretty much the same. The head a bottom end have different part numbers but there is not much different. The compression is a little higher than a normal gas car. If you were to take the pistons out of the CNG motor and put it into the D17 out of a normal Civic it bumps the compression to like 14.0:1. Most are obviously tuned on E85 with that kind of compression.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Yeah, I know with lower compression it will run 'rich' and be blowing wasted gas out the back, but I'm not too concerned about that... gas wells... :icon_bigg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Is the infrastructure for CNG available there?
ie: filling stations?

It works along much the same lines as LPG/Propane just at higher pressures but is useless if you can only fill at 3 places ;)

Some of our city buses use it.

Not sure why the discussion has wandered off into high compression engines though?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
My FIL has a fill station at his house (free) and there is one less than 10 miles from me... so thats not a problem in my case.

All of the infrastructure is down in the South Western States (Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, etc), I think there are 3 commercial station in Indiana.

Maybe I could convince him to back the Supra with his company and bill it as a guinea pig... :biglaugh:

I think the compression was brought up because cng has an 'octane' of ~130, so they are able to run at high compressions w/o damage and burn the fuel more efficiently. Or atleast I think thats why?

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
IJ.;1354598 said:
Is the infrastructure for CNG available there?
ie: filling stations?

It works along much the same lines as LPG/Propane just at higher pressures but is useless if you can only fill at 3 places ;)

Some of our city buses use it.

Not sure why the discussion has wandered off into high compression engines though?

The CNG Civic comes with this converter box thing that plugs into your natural gas lines in your house.

I was just stating that the gas 1.7/1.8 liter motor and the CNG 1.7/1.8 liter are pretty much the same so it it possible to convert a normal everyday car to this kind of fuel...