Clutch release issue.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So i fitted up my clutch and pressure plate i had rebuilt by a shop in Australia and put it all back like it used to be, carefully installing all the washers in the right order e.t.c and when i push the clutch peddle to the floor it won't dissengage.
I refitted a new clutch slave and clutch master and checked for leaks in the lines and there was none, bled the system probably 10 times now and seem to have a good peddle feel but it's not quite enough to dissengage the clutch.
I then made a tool to check the throwout distance required out of a old clutch slave and a bolt with one end rounded off with an adjusting nut to lengthen the rod to suit, and breathed a sigh of relief when the clutch disengaged nicely travelling approxly 10mm more than factory slave can travel.
Now how do i solve this problem the right way? Do i build a custom rod the correct length i need? Do i need a special clutch slave cylinder that has more travel? (smaller bore). Im just a bit stumped, normally i can get enough travel when doing this job with factory adjustment.
cheers guys, any help or suggestions would be great from people who have encountered the same problem.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
IJ.;1353205 said:
What's the pedal freeplay like Pete?

Yeah theres a bit there Ian. I will play with that some more today to see if i can tweak for more travel but im not sure it will be enough. It's like the clutch plate is too thick. I have another idea though, if i add spacers to the mount that holds the clutch fork will that give me more or less pedal? i'll have another play now.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Ok i wound it out all the way but it still isn't quite enough, i think ill go back over the bleeding again to see if i can find any more bubbles and then i'll make a custom slave rod or adjust the clutch fork mount to suit.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If the step is machined correctly on the flywheel you shouldn't need custom parts Pete....

I always had good luck vacuum bleeding mine could never get all the air out pumping the pedal.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
IJ.;1353509 said:
If the step is machined correctly on the flywheel you shouldn't need custom parts Pete....

I always had good luck vacuum bleeding mine could never get all the air out pumping the pedal.

Bench bleed my man. Solves that problem nicely.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
In the past with clutches i've never had any problems bleeding this way, but i'll certainly try anything once (well nearly anything ).
Hows the vacuum bleeder work? And where can i buy one?