Clutch Question - What Do I Really Have?

debrucer

Supramania Contributor
When I purchased the Supra I went out and bought an engine gasket set, water pump, and clutch cover, plate and bearing from the local imported parts store. The total cost was $254 for the stock Jap replacement pressure place, disk and throw-out bearing..

After deciding to keep and improve the car I bought a Clutchmasters “stage-2″ upgrade from JSC Speed for $615.

With minor exceptions detailed in my blog post, both units appear to be nearly the same parts. At least I didn't buy an XTD Scam clutch :)

Please take a look at my blog and the pictures of both assemblies. The link to the post is http://dbconsul.com/wp/?p=174

To post on my blog you must create an account, I know, a pain in the butt. Comment here unless you find something there worth coming back to read. You're certainly welcome to join me there.

- David

debrucer

Supramania Contributor
Beals;1959502 said:
if it's anything like DM's "stage kit" it's just an aisin disc with an upgraded pressure plate to handle more lbs. They do look identical though but so does this: http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-stage2clutchkitforr154.php and it's being called an improvement.

Driftmotion, that's Aaron, right? He can set me straight. You're right about that advertised clutch, billed as an upgrade. They say "420 whp", and I'd like to think if I ever get it running it will be closer to 500. I think clearly I'm in need of an upgrade, again, and it has to be done before I send the rotating stock for balancing. Sucks to buy three clutches before getting it right.

Now that I've dug out receipts and part numbers I will try to research what I have; but, if anyone recognizes any of the numbers, markings, colors, signatures, etc., in my pictures and has insight. I would appreciate hearing.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Looks like what you got was an upgraded disk and a stock pressure plate. That's a pretty common stage 2 upgrade set. The other way is a stock disk and upgraded pressure plate, which is typical to the Action clutches DM sells.

It's easier to verify that you've got a non-stock pressure plate. I can't speak to the quality of the friction material, but the hubs appear to be identical this makes sense, since the easiest way to do an upgraded disk is to use the stock one as a base.

An upgraded PP will generally also look the same as stock, as the only thing that it typically changed is the spring plates. The springs are the 3 layer pieces bolted around the circumference of the disk, and the tines going into the center. The center tines might get heat treated, but it seems to be the outer circumference springs that get the most attention, probably because they're easier to change out. My stage 3 PP has visibly upgraded springs, and when you feel the weight on the clutch pedal, there is no question that you have a heavier clamping force.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The pressure plate is a cast iron part that wouldn't be economical to manufacture yourself. That's why all the aftermarket clutches use a factory pressure plate and replace the spring.

The pressure plate isn't stamped steel like say the W58 has which is cheap to repop.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Have you tried calling Clutchmasters and asking them what work they do to the Stage 2 kit? They were *extremely* responsive when I had to contact them with my last clutch. Customer service is obviously pretty important to them, and I'd be shocked if they weren't straight up with you about whether the pressure plate on your kit is just a stock one.

debrucer

Supramania Contributor
GrimJack;1959822 said:
Have you tried calling Clutchmasters and asking <snip>

No. I have not and that is a logical choice. The day I wrote this post was the first day after digging out the receipts. The pictures and description of the differences on the blog post also before seeing the receipts again... for the first time in several years.

I believe that I purchased one stock setup, and one stage-2 setup. From recent reading, I believe that I will need a stage-4 setup.

I'm sure that Drift Motion has a solution when I get there; but, I'm so far away from that I haven't given it much more thought.

Members here satisfied my description of stage-2, and the receipts confirmed what I got.

Thanks again to all who responded.

- David