Clutch problem

well yesterday in the morning, i went to turn the car on and i noticed that the clutch was feeling a little soft, and after a few minutes i took it out for a drive and it was really hard to put into first gear or any other gear, so i took the car home and let it sit. the today i went to turn the car on again but when the car turns on, the clutch gets stuck on the ground and wont come back up. and the car wont go into any gear. whats the problem??is it that it needs a new clutch or something, there is fluid in the clutch thing so i dont know what is wrong. sorry not really car smart

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Sounds like there's air in the system. Try bleeding it and it should be good. As long as the master and slave cylinders aren't shot.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
^ What he said. Had this problem before (in a different car, but that doesn't matter). You definitely have air in the system if the clutch pedal is sticking to the ground. As well, it being hard to put into gear confirms it is not disengaging all the way when the pedal is pushed down.

If bleeding it doesn't help, you may have a bad master or slave cylinder.

Try searching how to bleed the clutch and see if it helps! (Remember to keep the clutch reservoir full when bleeding it. Otherwise this job will take 2 or 3 times longer than you need it to)

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
^ yep sounds like you need a new master cylinder or slave cylinder. How is the fluid in the resivior? Is there any fluid leaking on the inside of the car? Check over by the foot rest on the floor board. You have a leak some where if it worked fine before. I'm leaning more towards the master cylinder because I have two go bad and your prob sounds exactly like what happiens when they do go bad.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It is recommended to replace both the master and the slave at the same time. It definitely does sound like it is one or the other. The slave cylinder is an easy change. The master is only 2 bolts..........but one of them will kill you if you're not pencil thin.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
that happened to me one of my previous supra. sounds like the slave cylinder, easy to fix, pain to pump with your hands.

topekamk3

Nov 4, 2011
Topeka, KS
If the master/slave cylinders don't fix it, it could be a bad release bearing, I had that happen on a eclipse gsx I use to own.