Clutch Pedal comes up too far b4 engaging

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
I searched all the threads but no one has the same issue as mine. My clutch pedal was going to the floor I found out the slave leaks. So I replaced my master/slave clutch lines bled the entire system and everything is nice except the clutch pedal comes up too far before the clutch engages. It goes into every gear just fine, never slips it's just that even if I press the clutch in like 2 inches it starts to disengage so during shifts there is no need to press the pedal in all the way. Any one?

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Under the dash there is adjustment for the clutch it is the whole rod. If you take out the pin at the end of it and turn the whole rod it will adjust the pedal height.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, don't remove the pin. Loosen the jam nut and turn the shaft to adjust it. Properly pedal freeplay is vital to the life of your clutch (if you're preloading it it will slip).

Cygnus isn't working for me right now or I'd post the page from the TSRM so you know the spec, but I believe the freeplay spec is one inch.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Still gotta loosen the jam nut, and the shaft will just turn. I had to remove the pin ONCE because the shop that did my clutch had tons of preload and I couldn't rotate the shaft. Was a major PITA being stuffed under a dash...

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
Poodles;1113136 said:
Still gotta loosen the jam nut, and the shaft will just turn. I had to remove the pin ONCE because the shop that did my clutch had tons of preload and I couldn't rotate the shaft. Was a major PITA being stuffed under a dash...

Thanks for writing. It is a huge PITA yes. so I have to loosen the jamnut and turn the shaft? What do you mean by free play? Is that the extra travel the pedal goes through? Can this lead to shorter life?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the clutch should 'move' a little with barely any force. like its just hanging there.
and when your trying to turn the rod, press on the clutch just a little, and it will turn like NOTHING. i just replaced mine and it only took 45mins for the entire process.

oh yeah, dont unthread it too much of it will undo itsself from theh thing that holds it to the pedal.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Freeplay" is the travel where the pedal has no resistance other than the return spring ie: Before it moves the piston in the mastercylinder.

In a push style clutch as the Clutch wears the fingers will close the gap between them and the throwout bearing and eventually this will hold the clutch on and it'll slip.

If you don't have some freeplay at the pedal this happens sooner.

Rennat: In his case he'll be screwing the rod into the Clevis so that's not really an issue.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
does that actually change how late the clutch is actually grabbing when you start to let it out?
on mine you can start letting the pedle up and it wont grab until over half way up if not more. but grabs instantly, 6 puck, pita dd sometimes. is there any way to get it to have a larger window of when it starts to engage and when its fully engaged?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nope that's a side effect of a puck clutch most don't have Marcel springs between the friction surfaces to cushion the engagement.

90% of the tech in a modern clutch is to soften the take up and make it nice to drive.

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
IJ.;1113517 said:
Nope that's a side effect of a puck clutch most don't have Marcel springs between the friction surfaces to cushion the engagement.

90% of the tech in a modern clutch is to soften the take up and make it nice to drive.

I am running a 6 puck clutch from Southbend it is rated at 520lb-ft. I will adjust the rod to see if I can reduce the engagement height. Thanks alot guys.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^^ were you succesfull in placing the engagment window in a different spot on the pedal travel?

good stuff IJ, i guess reinventing the wheel only makes it a nicer wheel, nothing new and totally unheard of....

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
grimreaper;1115611 said:
^^ were you succesfull in placing the engagment window in a different spot on the pedal travel?

good stuff IJ, i guess reinventing the wheel only makes it a nicer wheel, nothing new and totally unheard of....

No not really, I loosened the jamnut and turned the rod but it only allows about inch of adjustment so right now the engagement window is only a little bit lower than before. The clutch pedal still comes up further than normal before engagement.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
i think ij said its not higher then "normal", thats just the nature of the beast. although im new to 6 pucks and high end performance clutches. used to ferds or audis/beamers that feel like NOTHING when engaging....

let me know how your tinkering goes.....

Highnitro

Boostin' 4 life
Jun 18, 2007
Vancouver, WA
my friend has this same problem in his car, he thinks its because he is using a w58 master cylinder on an r154. what tranny do u have and which master cylinder?

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
grimreaper;1117786 said:
i think ij said its not higher then "normal", thats just the nature of the beast. although im new to 6 pucks and high end performance clutches. used to ferds or audis/beamers that feel like NOTHING when engaging....

let me know how your tinkering goes.....

Ok. the problem is solved. I loosed the jamnuts again and manipulated the clutch pedal to allow the rod to turn freely. Then I could adjust it to engage at alot lower height. Thanks for everyones' input special regards to Rennat and Poodles.

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
Highnitro;1117802 said:
my friend has this same problem in his car, he thinks its because he is using a w58 master cylinder on an r154. what tranny do u have and which master cylinder?

I have the R154 and the master is by Aisin new.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
im gona have to mess with mine know. for got all about this.

which way did you turn the rod to drop the engagement height?

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
grimreaper;1120697 said:
im gona have to mess with mine know. for got all about this.

which way did you turn the rod to drop the engagement height?

counterclockwise if I remember right.