clutch master cylinder removal

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
i actually searched this in hopes of getting an answer

My clutch master cylinder went on me monday and I got a rebuild kit yesterday morning before class. I was able to get the lower nut on the right side off (if you're looking at it from inside the car) but the second one is up and to the left and I couldn't get it to move. I tried a wrench, ratchet, and even tried pliers but couldn't get them to fit on.

What did you guys use? I'm about to go pick up an offset ratcheting wrench if I can find one between class and work, but holy shit I never thought it would take me two days to do a clutch master cylinder.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I use a 1/4"-drive deep socket, 6" long extension, and probably a u-joint between the socket and extension. Lying under the dash is uncomfortable, but will let you see what's up. The stud the nut is on is long, so you need a deep socket. The long stud does make it easier to get the nut back on.

Asterix

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
ebang;1166249 said:
I used a 12MM stubby to get to it...took a while but it worked.

that's what my friend lent me...the wrench in his stubby kit seriously did ONE click for each turn but it worked

ForcedTorque;1166254 said:
Drop the lower dash panel, for a little easier access. Then leave it off until you drive the car and are sure you don't need to adjust the clutch any.

note taken and i'm about to do it now

my only issue now is getting the piston out

and after opening the actual rebuild kit itself, there were no O rings to go on the piston and when i called the store the idiot seemed like he had no idea what was going on then when i asked him if there was anybody he could ask he yelled out asking and said "nobody here thinks they're supposed to come with one so it's probably a dealer part or you could come here and see if we have any"

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I used a 3/8 socket on a universal with about 3 feet of extension coming out level with the driver seat ass cushion. One hand holds the socket in place and the other hand rachets. No real visual just feel your way in.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
90% of the rebuild kits are incomplete... which is why its just easier, and a hell of a lot less stressful to buy a whole new one.

but theres a c-clip thing inside, you need to clean all the grease out, and unless your kit came with a new piston, then there wont be any o-rings on it...

and there arent really any o-rings, there like "fin" seals i would call them... cause they flare out all around the piston.

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
yeah...turns out i'm the idiot...when i took the piston out there were no O rings

i swear it's like one thing after another with this car, lol

when i FINALLY got the nut off it fell over there the kick panel is and my hand isn't small enough to fit down there and now when i step on the clutch it moves so i have to get another nut after class today and bleed it then i'll finally be able to drive it

thanks for the help you guys

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Old ass thread. Yea, I did this today actually, not too bad, turned out the insides of mine was so corroded (sitting fluidless for a while) i just bought a new one. The nuts are a pain in the ass but I don't think It's as difficult as you're describing. Just remove that lower panel, put your seat back all the way, steering wheel all the way up, and lay on your back :)

For the record, I used a short handled 1/4" 12mm deep socket.

-Mike

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
i had 3 friends try with me man...it was a bitch

ironically enough the car i did the master cylinder on needs a new one...it's stuck buried in snow though...i'm driving the red one

InvisibleMonkey

2JZ NO SPIT!
Sep 17, 2005
SNJ
WhtMa71;1512876 said:
I could've sworn this was on the recent thread page...whoops lol..

Did you rebuild or replace the master?

I rebuilt it but didn't do the slave along with it. There's a leak somewhere and I'm not sure where it came from. I'm not really motivated to do it though because I'm driving my red supra daily and the black one is buried in snow.