clutch fan issue need help!

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
hey guys i jusst installed my radiator and clutch fan on my 1jzgte and ran into a major problem, the clutch fan blade is hitting the upper radiator hose for some strange reason. its a 2jzge clutch fan from an sc300..theres no clearance what so ever and it doesnt make sense to me.
i solved the problem by adding 3 washers to each thread on the pulley to space it, and it just barley cleared it, maybe by a half a centimeter tops if not less. anyone knw why this is happening. do i need a gte blade maybe?

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The supra shroud and radiator are smaller that the lexus and MKIV's.
You need a 7M blade and an LS400 lexus fan clutch from a 92 I believe. Make sure it has a fair amount of resistance though as the one I got from the dealer was weak and it spun freely when the car got hot when it should have done the opposite. I then tried a clutch from a toyo 4X4, not sure which one but it was the same size and its like on full blast all the time so now Im running a perma-cool 14 with a koyo rad and no issues yet.

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
To be quite honest, just delete the clutch fan man and go electric. It prevents less problems for you blowing a head gasket or over heating, plus you gain horse power. The money you'll spend on a new clutch and a blade you could get two fans and a water pump. So to be safer go electric, works out in the long run.

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
i dont think so, clutch fans are pretty safe and much cheaper than electric fans..have u seen how much flexalite fans go for? plus the price to get them wired up the proper way.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

f00g00;1559578 said:
The supra shroud and radiator are smaller that the lexus and MKIV's.
You need a 7M blade and an LS400 lexus fan clutch from a 92 I believe. Make sure it has a fair amount of resistance though as the one I got from the dealer was weak and it spun freely when the car got hot when it should have done the opposite. I then tried a clutch from a toyo 4X4, not sure which one but it was the same size and its like on full blast all the time so now Im running a perma-cool 14 with a koyo rad and no issues yet.

so your saying u cannot use a 2jzge clutch fan setup on a 1jzgte?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The 2jz clutches are the same, the SC and NA fan blade put the fan really close to the rad hose, the TT blade will work if you have the stock rad. If you have a Koyo AL, or other two row rad you will need to use the n/a blade as the TT blade will hit your rad. I also had to do some spacing on the clutch/ blade to fit mine (SC blade). The LS400/ 7M fan setup bolts on nicely and fits great.....but the LS clutch is reverse rotation!!!, so it is basically fully locked on all the time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nippon-teku;1559645 said:
To be quite honest, just delete the clutch fan man and go electric. It prevents less problems for you blowing a head gasket or over heating, plus you gain horse power. The money you'll spend on a new clutch and a blade you could get two fans and a water pump. So to be safer go electric, works out in the long run.

WRONG. Over half the time electrics do not flow as much which will let the engine over heat and blow the hg. The other half of the time they work fine.
Clutch fans always work great and the only time you get problems is after many years and miles when they go out.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I'm going thru a similar situation, only my 2JZ clutch & fan are bumping into the aftermarket Greddy IC hard pipe kit on the MKIII 1JZ.

Just to be perfectly, 100% clear... is it the 7M NA or the 2JZ NA fan that is supposed to plug & play while taking less room?

I'd rather not go electric, personally. I'll sacrifice single digit hp losses for reliability/durability.

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
hvyman;1559852 said:
WRONG. Over half the time electrics do not flow as much which will let the engine over heat and blow the hg. The other half of the time they work fine.
Clutch fans always work great and the only time you get problems is after many years and miles when they go out.

Never failed me yet..but I guess whatever works...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That would be you tho and not everyone. I know people with e fans and they are not happy with them.

Everyone is happy with the mech fan other than sound and trying to free up 3hp.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
becauseican;1559820 said:
The 2jz clutches are the same,

so the 1jz and 2jz clutches are different?

the SC and NA fan blade put the fan really close to the rad hose, the TT blade will work if you have the stock rad. If you have a Koyo AL, or other two row rad you will need to use the n/a blade as the TT blade will hit your rad.

do these combos fit in the gte stock fan shroud?

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
The 2jz clutches are the same, the SC and NA fan blade put the fan really close to the rad hose, the TT blade will work if you have the stock rad. If you have a Koyo AL, or other two row rad you will need to use the n/a blade as the TT blade will hit your rad. I also had to do some spacing on the clutch/ blade to fit mine (SC blade). The LS400/ 7M fan setup bolts on nicely and fits great.....but the LS clutch is reverse rotation!!!, so it is basically fully locked on all the time.

fully locked? what do you mean? its suppose to spin free either way, clockwise or counter clockwise. i put 3 washers on each stud and i dont feel safe driving with that at all, the nuts did not even fully crossover the stud, but its really tight. if i take even one washer off i think it will jam the upper radiator hose. i guess ill have to get the 7m blade.. i already have a ls clutch laying around.

anyone else have 2jz na fans and want to chime in on fitment issues..THIS IS BULLSHIT I THOUGHT IT WAS PLUG N PLAY! :'(

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
A 2j in a car it didnt come in plug and play right....

You could always get longer studs, Buddy just messed up his rad cause missing nuts on the water pump. Half of the threads is not enough.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
True but you dont have very much room at all and it would be hard to find some new studs.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
I tried the LS400 clutch with the 2JZGTE fan and thought I had enough clearance. I got on it one time and lost the shroud, two of the blades and about 5 rows from the rad. Luckily it was a stock rad from the 7M and not my new Koyo. solid mounts might have prevented the little mishap though.

The wound spring on the front of the clutch would change how it spins under load depending on rotation.

Last edited:

1wickedA70

May 20, 2008
Queens
f00g00;1560107 said:
I tried the LS400 clutch with the 2JZGTE fan and thought I had enough clearance. I got on it one time and lost the shroud, two of the blades and about 5 rows from the rad. Luckily it was a stock rad from the 7M and not my new Koyo. solid mounts might have prevented the little mishap though.

The wound spring on the front of the clutch would change how it spins under load depending on rotation.

whoa, thats what im scared of, im almost positive if i get on it that will happen to me.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I just bit the bullet and ordered the Flex-A-Lite 400-410. Dual electric 12" fans with variable speed control & A/C switch. Oddly, Amazon sold it for $280, whereas everyone else (all the vendors on Flex-A-Lite's web site) wanted $369. The only seller on eBay was Summit Racing, which is already a vendor on their site. So if you're comparison shopping, I'd say $280 seems to be the price to beat on that particular unit right now. I just want my durned car back on the road.

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
thats what my buddy just did. the LS400 and 7m blades seems to have just the right clearance. and to clear things up with the electric fan deal...

yes it gives you small performance increase due to less rotational mass. clutch fans do cool about 60% better than electric.
to compensate you use more glycerine for coolant. like the royal purple radiator crap. if you get a good ratio then you wont notice any difference in cooling