Clutch Concern

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Hey you guys, I have my motor out of my car right now and it will be going back in starting monday (1 week off for school)... Anyways, I purchased a Southbend OFE Stage 3 clutch (full facing feramic) and a Fidanza lightweight flywheel (11lb).
I have been reading up some more and am growing more concerned with welding the clutch to the flywheel. I have read of people doing it and am wondering what causes the clutch to weld??? Also how were you driving it? Were you dragging the car and slipping of the line or does it just happen all the time?
I will be driving this car as a daily driver, and of course having some fun but dont plan any heavy races. Just some quick pulls here and there. Do you think this combo will give me any problems?
Thanks for any info you can provide,
Ken

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
How the hell does that help? You have no idea how I treat my car... I'm all for helping people but telling me to sell my car for asking a question is ignorant...

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Does any one have advice regarding the functionality of this clutch and how often this happens for the average driver??? (not drag racing just occasional fun)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I have the exact same clutch with the factory flywheel. I've slipped it a bit with no probems. I think the main reason is the aluminum absorbs and retains more heat under heavy slippin than the factory steel one.
My recommendation is selling the fidanza to someone that doesn't have a feramic disk.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Ok, so it is mainly a concern with the clutch in combination with the fidanza?
Like I said I wont be drag racing this car just some occasional fun..
Just wish i didnt have to sell this...
The fidanzas face isn't aluminum though, it has steel inserts for the friction surface. Is it because of the surrounding aluminum? I assume that is the case, but I thought aluminum was better at dissipating heat? Please correct me if I am wrong on anything ive said

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Aluminum conducts heat better than steel. It does dissapate heat faster but it will also reach critical temp faster.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
WOW, this really bites... Sounds like I am going to lose money on this deal...
Just wondering, but is the clutch welding the norm or the rarity?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Yeah seems to be... Just seems everyone welds them on drag racing or something where they are slipping the clutch alot.. I don't plan to slip it on high rpms, just daily driver with some fun... Maybe I will just try it and see what happens, but I was hoping someone who has experienced this or has second hand experience could divulge me with a little details... HMMM hard decision...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
kotu100;1535502 said:
Aluminum conducts heat better than steel. It does dissapate heat faster but it will also reach critical temp faster.

Not the issue. The issue is the steel friction insert overheats and welds to the clutch disk. It's not able to transfer the heat to the aluminum the same way it would work if it's a normal all steel flywheel.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Poodles;1535638 said:
Not the issue. The issue is the steel friction insert overheats and welds to the clutch disk. It's not able to transfer the heat to the aluminum the same way it would work if it's a normal all steel flywheel.
So how much of a problem do you think this will be for me poodles? Im not a real crazy driver, very mellow most of the time.. just the few fun pulls here and there as ive mentioned. LOL Just wondering what the probability of this happening is.