Clear side indicator units......1st prototype

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
Good Morning all,

I couldn't contain my excitement, so here's the very first pics of the very first clear bubble type side indicator complete with E markings but no Toyota. This is a first prototype and I still have further work to do with different finishes to the bonding edge and different glues etc. This one's only held together with Sellotape at the moment!

I may offer them in a choice of finishes, I'll try a few and post them to guage preferences. This one is in bright silver/chrome, but a dark one with 'stealth' gloss black might look okay........but it might not

Be pleased to hear from anybody who has or could suggest an LED array or strip that might be small enough, but effective enough to fit in one of these housings.....I think I have someone in mind :evil2:

Only thing is, everybody's now going to say they want the flat type :cry:

p360412_1.jpg

p360412_2.jpg

ShardEvo

Pluto? Why not!
Sep 29, 2006
ky
wow those look amazing! very good job on the fabrication how much are they going for?:biglaugh:

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i also think it'll be 50/50 on the type. personally i'd get bubble probably because for one, its unique, and two, i'm guessing its designed to be eaiser to see from a steeper angle.... for example, a person passing you but just far enough to NOT see your rear signal would see this one eaiser.

wait a second.... i feel stupid.... the side marker doesnt...even...BLINK!!!!

bahhh..

nice either way. now i'm not sure which i like more. lol.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Consider the rear side markers as well. I believe the company that was making the rear side diamond clears has stopped. Plus people will want the fronts to match the rears, and the diamond clears are much more mirror looking.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
lol. thanks for that. so you used that mod huh? was it hard? any problems or worries? i'm doing it if i get some positive feedback. thanks!

wolfie308

Lensmeister
Sep 5, 2006
Bucks, England
www.protocast.co.uk
Thanks for all the feedback guys,

So here's the current status..........

What we have is is the first trial side. Unforunately, I made an error with the mould for the backing and had to cut it into 4 pieces.... not exactly ideal, so will have to remake it. Will then have to amke a few more trial lenses and cases to decide the best finish.

I then have to repeat the procedure on the other unit. Next, I'll supply a couple of pairs to U.K owners who've helped me with various projects to check they are happy with the finished result. Then I'll confirm price and see what happens.

Figit090 are you the one fabricating the clear front corners or the clear rear signals?

The clear rear turn lenses are done and available now. :naughty: After splitting and thoroughly cleaning the components, I sprayed the casing and internal trim with a chrome spray before reassembling and polishing. This pic doesn't do it justice, so I'll try and get a better one.

p360533_1.jpg

or you may prefer it without the chroming round the turn lens.....

p360533_2.jpg

I'm waiting for a pair of front turns from one of my dealers....they're on there way, so I can check to make sure about the dismantling and cost up the tooling. These would be exact copies of the original except all clear, so would match the OEM style of the side(bubble type) and rear turns. I have no plans to do the plain sides, due to the time it takes to make each one of these type of units by hand.

I'll come back to you with confirmed prices early next week, and get the trial pairs out for appraisal by the end of the week all being well.

Will post some more pics of the sides with different finishes shortly.

p.s the photos are of the same units, it's just the first one is with flash and the second is in natural ambient light

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
tail lights look good... are you still considering making me a pair? ;)

i wouldn't put LEDS in the bubble markers... the point of the led strip is to have a nice crisp line shining through that's not really diffused. the bubble markers are good for single bulbs. personally i think the flat one with a nice LED strip like the clearcorners people make would like nicer then a bubble one. i'm probably going to get a set for the fronts and sides from them, unless you can come up with something better or more cost-effective ;)

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
damn i love those taillights in the second pic! to bad i alreadfy went 89+, as for the front slears, nice i migth want to try a pair out

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
so your not the one that made the front clear corners? darn.

i'm definatly interested in all the clear lenses that can be used on the car... corners, sides, and rear. :D

it would be cool if one person could make all of them, then it would make shipping eaiser and there'd be no risk of plastic/tint differences between sets....