Clear answer 1j flywheel

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I'm new here, and I did some searching, but here is my question. I'm going 2j NA-T, but do I still need a 1j flywheel? Why won't I be able to use a SC300 flywheel? Everyone just says (from what I've searched) that I must use a 1j, but nothing more than that. I'm just trying to find a clear answer why I HAVE to use a 1j flywheel.

Thanks guys

outrider

Jul 1, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The clutch and pressure plate for the 7m will bolt to the 1jz flywheel correctly. Without it, you would need a 2jz pressure plate, and 7m clutch disk (if that would even work, not sure if the throwout bearings are the same).

In my setup, my engine came with an Fidenza aluminum 2jz flywheel. I had the local machine shop simply drill and tap holes on the 2zl wheel for the 7m pressure plate. I had to have it balanced anyways, so they only charged like 15 extra dollars to do the drilling. The set pins do line up between the two.

MORAL: To avoid hassle, use the 1jz wheel. It can be done other ways though.

-Nick

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If people are telling you that you HAVE to use a 1JZ flywheel, then they don't know what the hell they're talking about. They assume you're running an R154.

If you're sticking with the stock W58, then the SC300 flywheel will work no problem. If you are upgrading to a R154 transmission however, you also need a 1JZ flywhel so you can bolt the R154 (7M) pressure plate to it.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Yeah i'm using a r154 (turbo) w/ a 1j bell housing. So it's just a matter of mating up the pressure plate and flywheel then right?