CJ's MK3 1987!

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
What's up, I just got my mk3 2-3 months ago, and I'll go ahead and start my story there.
I saw the beauty in an apartment complex, and honestly didn't know what it was.
It had been debadged so far, even the engine bay showed me any proof.

(sorry for the lack of pictures at the beginning of this thread, I didn't think I would be doing any threads or anything)

Welll, I had been seeing it there, and it was parked there for a while, so I eventually put a note on the windshield.. "Hey, I don't know anything about this car, but call me *insert phone number here* I want it"
It had just drawn to me that much. Ever since, I've been putting much more than this thing is worth into the engine bay. I have no regrets.
This is where I saw it parked, and how it looked. beautiful x2.jpg
This guy was immaculate, not a single scratch, nothing. Painted 7 months back, glossy black, the whole deal.
Well, the guy called me back, and I found out what it was, immediately put an offer on it, and bought it within a 3-5 day span. (As an 17 year old kid using his own money, this was a big deal to me)

Well my first day driving it, it overheated. Figures. Boiled over, and I was scared. I was learning stick on it :)P) and I wasn't going to give up on it that early.
So, with my cousins husband's (a car guru in my eyes) help, we started diagnosing huge problems.
I'll just make a list of things that we found from the start that were wrong:
Air filter cracked
dead cell in battery
No thermostat
several fuses were blowing (did rewire throughout the whole supra for this)
2-3k idle (bad throttlebody mounting bracket set up, obvious aftermarket bullshit)
no fan shroud/bad electric fan sensor
blow-by (worst I've seen)
no powersteering
No seatbelts
no a/c (not gonna fix)
bad alternator (beginning to weaken out)
failing timing (dammit)
and to top it all offff blown headgasket entire time I owned it.
This is what it looked like when I got the bastard Beautiful.jpg

Well, to start off this supra's career around my streets, I decided "F--- it, I'll drive this engine off of it"
And so I did.
Learning to drift, drive, and fear the power that this car had, I blew the motor in 3 months.
With a dead cylinder on 200k+mile car, it was time to really begin this cars career. This is where I am now, I've been spending all the money I have saved for a couple years on this guy.
I put together a 2jzgtte from a 45k mile car (proof of 150psi compression, no blow-by, 3 month start up warranty) and this is what I've come up with.
159.jpg
Also with this guy, I got me some mounting brackets 158.jpg
and a new alluminum 1jz bellhousing. (not pictured)
I've just recently discovered that you need a r154 1jz flywheel to run a r154 in a 2jz, but all of you know that I'm sure, so that comes in in a week :)
Mechanically, that's what I have so far!

Well, on to the interior.
Oh dear god, the interior.
I can't explain how bad it is.. except to say that my 10 year old sister could do better.
The dash panels were "Leathered" with vinyl leather, that's meant for upholstering... and was done so wrong, that the final product wouldn't clip in.
He was fine with that.
The door panels were done as well, with the most beautiful red carbon fiber style vinyl (sarcasm)
it was falling apart, and had been obviously lightweighted at some point.
There were racing seats... that I am not lying when I say.. weren't bolted in. They were set on top of the seat mounting brackets, and had obviously been there a while (obvious tear marks where he had been drifting and the e brake rubbed against an edge of the seat)
So far, I'm too poor to afford the releathering of my dash (the real dash, not the panels) as it's cracked to hell and back. I'd like to take it out, but after I saw the 89 step process, that can be done later..
so I've been doing the simple stuff to start me off!
Took out the amazing sound system he has in there! (walmart brand door speakers that had blown every single cone in the vehicle, with the wiring not going through the boot of the door, just through the side, and 2 12's that were dced, and on what appeared to be the worst amp I've ever seen)
So far I've been able to do some pieces of the interior my own way (I'm never selling it, so I don't care, shut up)
118.jpg (imagine that same shit on the switch bezzel)

I've also reupholstered 66% of the doors so far, with "lexus white" vinyl, matching a black door, doing it RIGHT.
(still need to go and cut the bottom trim piece and install)
more pictures will be shown of progress and the such!

Things I am doing soon:
Rollcage w/ 4 points
New seats
redoing carpet+adding deadening insulator
possible painting of engine bay
installing engine!
rebuilding rack
reinstalling most of the interior.

I have a deadline! January 22nd! I leave for basic training, and I want to hit the track one time in it!
Any advice/tips on anything is accepted and appreciated, I hope to be a part of this community!
It seems to be a nice place

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Questions I may have: how would I go about fabbing a bezel in place of the ashtray/ac-control unit for turbo timer/boost controllers?
I've seen it in some of your guys builds, looking flush and beautiful. I may even dump my radio slot, or I may install a newer, better system. Think I'm leaving music out of this beast though, for now.

aurastephen

my advice dont add more sound deadening they are heavy enough as it is last thing you wanna do is add 100 more lbs of deadening in it if anything you wanna start reducing weight both my mk3's are gutted my dd has door panels and a center console but no deadening carpets or rear panels or rear seats.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Your in Florida.. so its not a real necessity, but if you do redo the dash (the 89 step procedure) replace the heater core "O-rings" and check the core closely. Its truly a pain in the ass to get at later.
Also, if you yank the engine.. paint the bay. Dont cut corners. It sounds like you actually respect your car.

As for the 3000 VVTI... very nice find. Remember that it IS a vvti. Not many MK3's run it, so it has different concerns than a normal 2j/1j or 7M. Excellent engine if your bottom end is in good shape still. (mileage isn't the concern... 'salt soak', bad seals are).
I would redo all seals and gaskets and yank the oil pan to peek inside (easier than doing the head). Just dont spin the engine with the oil pan on.. you have no idea whats inside it.

You have an excellent start. Plan everything before doing so you dont have to revisit 3 times... Good luck!

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
The whole rear end was lightweighted:
nothing back there but what appears to be "line-x"
It still has back seats... but not for long.. They're getting replaced with a rear side roll cage
The engine bay is stock white! I plan on polishing it out, and giving it a glossy clearcoat finish :)
There are a few things done by last owners that are... less than appealing to me (There was a hole cut in to lengthen the air filter, and it was left with jagged edges, I'm gonna cut the hole CIRCULAR and find a rubber trim to put around it)
I'm still iffy on whether or not I should do deadening, I found a 25' roll that weighs 31 pounds... might do sections and cover holes (Apparently mice find my interior appealing... and ate my supra repair manual..)
You say vvti as if it's different than a regular 2j, did I have a stroke of good luck? :D
Are there any suspension upgrades I should look to do while my engine is out? I've heard some things are easier with that, but I'm still generally new to this.
I'll certainly check the heater core components! I didn't even think to do that!
Is there anywhere in particular you would go to get a new dash/replacement dash that might be lighter and more durable? I'm in florida, and apparently these supras are known for cracking dashes. I might just releather too, I'm just not sure on that yet.
Thanks!

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Oh my! It's the japanese mk5 supra engine!
I had no idea that existed, even.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for specs, but this is exciting for me. Thanks for mentioning that!

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well they started making the vvt-i motor in the supra in 1997. Do you have a vin number on the block that you are looking at? I assume that you got it as an import motor. Great motors in general.

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
It is an import motor, straight from japan. I'm 95% sure it's from an aristo, that's what it's allegedly a swap for, and it's what they used from 97-02 japanese production supras...
I'm learning a few interesting things about it!
like the twin turbo vvti stock only exists in japan, while the NA was available in USA/UK.
I went back to the website I bought the engine from, and am using that as a reference for all of this mind you.
This is good news! Supposedly the vvti system is better for fuel efficiency and longevity of the engine?
It also has an electronic throttle control system... How does that system hold up as far as driver feel/idle/acceleration
How easy is this ECU to remap?
Ahhh I'm getting too anxious.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think the first VVT-i was 91 in Japan... not sure though... its what I was going to do with my engine, but I had already torn the engine apart when I found out my 7M was going to die... so I had to stick to the 7M platform (basically timing and finance).
Basically, it justvaries the timing of the intake valves by adjusting the relationship between the camshaft drive and intake side. It uses engine oil pressure to adjust the camshaft position. It allows the engine to perform a lot better.. pretty well the optimum for the engine. To me, its the best MK4 style engine to drop into a MK3. Im not sure what is all involved, but I do know that Kaizen motorsports (they are on facebook as well) does them. I think Rodel's may be a vvt-i, again.. not sure..

Also.. why soundproof AND put in a roll cage. If your going track, you want lightweight.. who cares about the noise?

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
It's not gonna be all track, I'm just doing a 4 point cage, and am probably gonna daily drive it until I rebuild the engine to handle that high horsepower.
Looking like I might be selling my truck to fund this guy! Unsure of it, as of now.
I'm planning on going out to the shop a little later today, I'll just show ya'll how bad the interior is... Problems... how I'm handling it... ect.

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Well guys, it's just a wait for an opening on my friends lift!
I should be waiting about... 3-4 days, and should be on with the swap!
I have a few questions, if anyone would be willing to help:
Boost controllers, I'm looking into electric boost controllers and have seen a few good ones.
Most of my turbo components have been coming from greddy, and I've like their product so far..
How do we like their boost controllers?
Forgot to mention, A turbo timer has been found!
It's just a matter of hooking that up, going to put everything together during swap.

I'm also considering a cpu programmer... any preferences from you guys?
Anything that I could run constant in my radio bezel or anything?

Thanks for any help guys :)

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Well, I know it's been a minute,
But the shop I was working with couldn't handle waiting on the final part to my engine, as they were headed out running the Porsche team "rolex" out on the tracks.
SO the car is being towed back to my place here in the next few hours.
Things I've considered:
I've seen reasonable jobs were ALL carpet was taken out, and the interior panels -generally- stripped. (Keeping door panels/other misc) And had the metal painted!
Well, painting is a general forte of mine, I have a gun and a shop, and am also reasonably good at polishing.
I'm thinking about painting it either a Cadillac pear white, or a match up of my own car: Any thoughts?
Back seats are being stripped out tonight, going to open up areas for a roll cage, and reinstalling front seats (CORRECTLY OH MY WORD HOW HARD IS THAT)
And am looking at a set of TRD seats w/ sliders to put in her.
Also on the lookout for a decent set of coilovers (Wanting to be in depth enough to be ABLE to adjust the camber to -3 at least)
anyone have a specific brand they trust?
Also on the lookout for a newer LSD but that can wait.
I look forward to throwing some pictures of what I got going on by tomorrow!

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Well I've finally recieved my car back from the shop...
Engine not installed, I'll be doing it myself.
Heres those pictures of the interior options that my previous owner has decided to give it.
014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg019.jpg020.jpg022.jpg
On a much brighter note, I've come across some basic interior pieces...
023.jpg
which I guess is to be installed into my glove box.
Well,
The bitch is rat infested, and it stinks,
So this carpets gotta go!
I'll be working on stripping interior all day, and will post the result.

Oh by the way,
This carpet was SCREWED on.

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
AHHHH
I feel like a a little kid and christmas came early <333
026.jpg

My flywheel came in!
Final piece to my oh so troublesome puzzle :biglaugh:
So I called my friend, and his slightly more mechanically inclined friend,
and what's that? We can do it saturday?
AHMAHGAD

ShmoupleDupe

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
Maybe not last saturday, but it begins today.
Also, do 2jz's typically come with lift hooks?
That made my life so much easier just now