Chunks' Build

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Great thread. I've just read the whole thing. That's two more GTR's than I'll see in a year here in the land of National Championships..........lol
Chunk, what stall converter are you using? Our builds are going to be very similar. I have a 6765 turbo instead of the 64, and it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my injectors. I only have 850's at the moment. I thought that was going to be plenty for around 600 hp to the wheels. I also use methanol injection with mine.
Thanks for the great videos and write up., Jay

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well, "stall" is relative and misleading.

Think of a torque converter as a rubber band. The more you pull, the more it stretches. Torque converters work the same way. If you apply my torque, the "stall" increases. This converter is VERY loose for my power level which makes the car very responsive but at the same time is causing inefficiency.

My 2150's are at 50-55% at 30psi on E85. If you're running gasoline you can get away with 30-40% less injector.

Gonna be updating this in the next day or so with results from the last Dyno visit. :naughty:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
SO things just got serious. Made a trip to the dyno.

737HP at 30Psi on E63!

p2083119_1.jpg

First pull VS last pull at 30Psi.

p2083119_2.jpg

Converter is way too loose. over 20% at 7500rpm.

Heres converter slip VS RPM on the dyno pull.

p2083119_3.jpg

Heres converter slip on my 10.20 pass at the track when it was untuned.

p2083119_4.jpg

To compare, heres converter slip making a full pass now that its tuned.

p2083119_5.jpg

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Very very impressive. That thing will probably run mid to high nine's next time out. Will you have to install a roll cage to run in the 9's?

Do you remember if your stall is 3400? Seems like that's what everyone uses. Mine came with a 2000 but I don't even want to put it in if I know I'm going to take it right back out.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well it's like I said before. Stall speed is reletive and misleading. Lots of things determine what the stall speed of a converter is.

A small quick spooling turbo will make the same converter stall higher then a big laggy turbo because the motor will make more torque at a lower RPM.

If I had to put a stall speed on my converter it would prolly be in the 4500 range. It's very loose.

But if this converter was behind a stock twin 2j making 400hp, it would stall much lower and would be almost perfect because comparatively the 400hp motor would produce less torque.

As you can see from the charts above, the amount of slip in my converter at 7500RPM increased by ~7% when the only thing that changed was torque output.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Wow, Blast from the past. Ive made a good bit of progress since the last time i posted here.

I just went back and updated the youtube links as the tag changed.

Going to post some updates soon, and i have a big project im starting also.

Reactions: supraguy@aol

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
So a little update and a teaser.

The car over the last 7 Years has progressed and been refined quite a bit. There is an airfield a couple of towns over that recently race promoters have been hosting some no prep events. I took a ride out there, not really to compete with anyone, but to see how i could do. I feel like i was able to do pretty well.

Here's a pretty good image from the starting line, and a few videos of races i had while i was there. I was surprised to win almost all of my races. Again, this wasn't really a competition, mostly just a test and tune type of deal, so i didn't actually win anything.

6401-r.jpg

Going to these events, kinda kicked me into gear to get started on something that ive always wanted to do....

Test-Fit.jpg

There's going to be more information to come on this, But for now, you'll have to wait.

• Love
Reactions: awsom-0