china mani slag removal?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
hey everyone. I am curious what tools and techniques you have used to remove the slag from the cheap e bay china turbo manifolds that most of us run? I already shelled a top shelf turbo due to slag, and I need to get all that stuff cleaned out so I don't destroy my BW S 360 that is in the mail!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
give an industrial sandblaster a try, should knock anything and everything out of there. make sure you clean it well before reinstalling though.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
My manifold is divided which makes getting a big grinder in the collector tough. I am thinking about going at it with a skinny air tool and a long rasp like tip. I will give a industrial blaster a shot as well.

Any other ideas for skinny tools that can get deep in a runner?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I used my dremmel with the flex extension on it. It did okay. I haven't had any problems with slag or anything else. I probably spent a good 6 to 8 hours cleaning out mine...

Also I would not buy/run one again if I could avoid it. I wish there were some other options that were readily available.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
The dremel! My long lost tool. Damn it has been a while, but that surely is the ticket here. I hate my damn dremel almost as much as this pos china mani...but hey its better than a $1700 manifold. Thank for reminding me about that. Got any bit recommendations?

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I ended up knocking out some large pieces with a screwdriver and hammer. Then i started using the dermel with flex extension, some stones, and the 80 grit sand wheel. Then media blasted it blew it out, then ran it in a parts washer. Looks like all the stuff that could come loose got knocked off.

The dremel worked pretty damn good.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I don't like our cheap china manifolds either, I hate to point fingers but the one I got from dm is over 1/8 inch from being level going from one end to the other. all the slag in it is sad to see as well but you do get what you pay for. I used a dremel with a flapper wheel on the slag then a carbide bit to smooth the edges out.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I was too afraid of removing too much material to port mine a all.

I welded up 2 braces as well. I am going to see how flat my flanges are this week once i can get it on a granite slab. I don't think i had any leaks before, but might as was well know for certain.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
scottiedawg66;1967490 said:
I was too afraid of removing too much material to port mine a all.

I welded up 2 braces as well. I am going to see how flat my flanges are this week once i can get it on a granite slab. I don't think i had any leaks before, but might as was well know for certain.

I know it sounds crude but you can use a wooden ruler to see if it's even close. You can see how far mine's off before even putting a straight edge on it. I'll end up making a fixture so I can surface grind it so I won't have to worry about it sealing.