Checking out a 220k turbo

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
There's an ad for a turbo MKIII with 220k miles and a leaking transmission seal.

What precautions should I know about.
I'm new to turbos and would like to know stuff to check out for a 220k car.
If this has been covered let me know, I'll search.

Mainly I wanted to know about a leaky automatic transmission seal. What problems could this have caused?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Honestly? Chances are you're going to want to keep looking. There is almost no chance of that thing not being a huge problem car with that many miles. There are plenty of threads on "what to look for when buying a supra" I'll try to find one of them. What are you looking to get out of the car, a daily driver? A project car?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
trans minus 1-3 qt of fluid = bad shifts, missed shifts and no shifts at all, hardened seals, loss of pressure burned up (over heated) pump and fried clutches. IMHO, new one needed depending on the leak and how low its been driven on and the amount of time its been driven low on fluid. but if its a "fresh" leak, you could get lucky. if the trans is leaking and they actually know about it, im HIGHLY doubting they actually changed fluids and did maintenance as needed seeing as how a fully working car is sold alot easier then one with a known and mentioned leak.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
GotTurbos?;1105164 said:
Honestly? Chances are you're going to want to keep looking. There is almost no chance of that thing not being a huge problem car with that many miles. There are plenty of threads on "what to look for when buying a supra" I'll try to find one of them. What are you looking to get out of the car, a daily driver? A project car?

Definitely agree here.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
There are a lot of missing variables here. Answer the earlier questions, and a few more. What condition is the car in otherwise? Is it trashed or well maintained? How bad is the leak? What is the asking price? Are you willing to work on this and many other problems, or will you be paying to have it repaired?

These cars are very old, they will develop leaks. Mine has a very minor leak as well. Most good MKIII Supras on the road have been rebuilt. Inquire about the head gasket. If it has never been changed, turn around and run as fast as you can. 220,000 miles is not a death certificate on a Toyota. You will need lots of cash and tools to love this car. Without the tools, you'll need doctor type income.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
220k miles?

The motor is probably ok. The Turbo. That should have probably died around 175k if it is the orignal OEM one.

Tranny leaking. That would be concern.

Regardless, what ever the asking price of the car. Double it to take care of ALL the mechanical issue that will eventually pop up.

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
DOH! It's $1500 OBO, says recently rebuilt engine. But there's no telling.

I want a DD plus occasional messing around. ;)

Thanks for you help guys.

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Checking out another turbo supra for $700, with a bgh but supposedly still is drivable.
What would happen if I swapped in my 6m, (from my 85) and rebuilt the 7m?

How would the Turbo ecu react to a missing turbo system for a bit?

Hmm, was just thinking and, I'm not sure how I would be able to hook up the Waste Spark Ignition System instead of my single coil system on the 6m...
Would the distributors swap out with each other?
I really want a turbo! Hehe. I'll probably have to go n/a though.

(Sorry if this post makes you mad, I'm just thinking out loud!)