Cheaper Alternative to Engine mounts 89+

Ok so both my engine mounts are shot, and I did engine mounts on a ford not to long ago that looked quite similar so I looked through my invoices and saw it was a bronco with 4.9L that I did them on. I ordered one from advance and wow I think it will work great. My price was $29.39 for the 1991 Bronco 4.9L mount.

You can get them from rock auto for $11.15 part number is 2698, when the replacement mount for the supra is $76.79 from rock auto.

Broken stocker on the left, Ford on the right.
While they are the same height, the studs are different threads so you will need to get nuts and washers to match them. The alignment dowel is only on one side on the ford mount and does not line up with the hole in the mount bracket for the engine. The plates used to prevent the engine from moving so much will either have to be removed or modified to work if you wanted to keep them.
I will be trying these on my car, They are untested as of yet so I do not know for sure if they will work, even tho they look promising.
p1911790_1.jpg

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I'm gonna have to sell my solid motor mounts and switch to these now. I don't like the vibrations and i now hear bad things for solid mounts on dd cars.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
dubsupra209;1912010 said:
I heard when you use solid mounts your supposed to buy solid Tranny mount too.

Not really since the motor is mounted to the subframe and the tranny is mounted to the chassis. The subframe isn't hard mounted...

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Poodles;1912254 said:
Not really since the motor is mounted to the subframe and the tranny is mounted to the chassis. The subframe isn't hard mounted...

Yea I wouldn't know a buddy with 240 at work has solid tranny and motor mounts. That's what he told me.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Sounds like the crap that they're tapping and drilling are some 12x1.5 lug nuts and making them into 12x1.75 nuts, so that they can be used to reach down thru the mount points on the aluminum mount plate and the lower plate, to fully engage the threading on the mount itself. Looks like your pic shows that the ford mount has slightly shorter studs?
Just a guess.

Ps- have you installed yours yet?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I like OEM stuff. I bet they won't last 20 years. Why waste a bunch on time and monkey around with inferior stuff. You should go Factory mounts. Once you start where do you stop cutting corners. Some people say HK$. I say OEM quality like nippon denso. I wish you luck with your project. Just my two cents.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My mk4 mounts weren't cheap, but they were half the price of mk3 mounts.

$20 for a mount just seems wrong though... seems too cheap, but it does look beefy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarx7nut;1913180 said:
My mk4 mounts weren't cheap, but they were half the price of mk3 mounts.

$20 for a mount just seems wrong though... seems too cheap, but it does look beefy.

Volume production...

Since leaving the Mk3 world and running Domestics I'm constantly AMAZED how cheap parts are, I'm talking 1/10th what I was used to paying for the same Supra Bits!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1913185 said:
Volume production...

Since leaving the Mk3 world and running Domestics I'm constantly AMAZED how cheap parts are, I'm talking 1/10th what I was used to paying for the same Supra Bits!

Jeez. Well if some day the us domestics join the world of 21st century engineering I may have to grab one up!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
IJ.;1913185 said:
Volume production...

Very true. In the past though, the "Parts price" was moot. Back in the early 90s, I used to compare with a lot of my friends, and found that in terms of overall budget, even when I was paying many times more for comparable parts we were spending about the same amount of money on parts in total. I was buying a lot fewer parts. My GM big block was pretty solid, but had an appetite for parts.

I believe that the newer cars are much better engineered.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan_Gyoba;1913305 said:
Very true. In the past though, the "Parts price" was moot. Back in the early 90s, I used to compare with a lot of my friends, and found that in terms of overall budget, even when I was paying many times more for comparable parts we were spending about the same amount of money on parts in total. I was buying a lot fewer parts. My GM big block was pretty solid, but had an appetite for parts.

I believe that the newer cars are much better engineered.
Yep my cars are a 2004 and a 2005 and a HUGE leap forwad to the last Domestic I owned :)

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
One thing I feel like adding in here is how much I disliked the stock fluid filled mounts. Partially because of how they seem to tear easily if you are running elevated power levels and because of how "squishy" they are allowing the motor to move around too much. The metal clad MKIV mounts do not have either of these issues for me. The MKIV mounts are the only ones I would run.

But wait...IJ, didn't your last domestic run on steam and coal? :p Your even older than me!