Charcoal canister with FFIM and aftermarket Throttlebody

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well, i have gotten my car all together and im wondering how to hook up my charcoal canister with the custom manifold and aftermarket throttle body. I want to continue to run it because it was having tuning issues when i removed it before. Probably a combination of fuel heating and lack of tank pressure.

The way i had it hooked up stock was from the tank to the canister, to the bvsv, to the throttle body ported vacuum port.

The problem i have now is my car has a 2jz with no bvsv and the throttle body has no ported vacuum ports.

I have a standalone so i can use a vsv to mimic the bvsv by setting it to open and close and the correct coolant temps. So thats not a big deal.

But how should i hook up the vacuum line to the manifold? Should i run a vsv that opens based on manifold pressure? Or TPS? Or should i just hook it straight to the plenum?

What would happen if i hooked up the canister to the tank and left the line that goes to the manifold open? I assume i would get gas smell from it being open?

Thanks,
Dan

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Run a line from the plenum to the BVSV. In said line, run a one-way PCV valve so that under vacuum fuel vapors are pulled into the intake, but under boost the valve shuts so that you don't over-pressurize the canister and tank.

The tank will naturally have a very low pressure, which helps to move the fuel vapors from the tank into the charcoal canister. The vacuum supplied via the manifold/TB draws said vapor from the canister to be burned to lower emissions.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
MOY: I don't currently have a bvsv because the motor is a 2jz like I mentioned in my post. A one way valve in the tanks vent line would either allow it to only release fumes or only suck in air, both of these need to be allowed to happen. In the setup you mentioned there is no way for the tank to draw in air to replace the fuel being sent out.

JetJock: I understand the reasoning behind the ported vac at the throttle body (at least I think) and this is why I was curious as to how I could replicate it without a ported vac source.

I have decided to ditch the charcoal canister at this point. The fuel system in my car is so far from stock I figured The gains/practicality from having the charcoal canister aren't really there anymore.

I have a fuelab external rated for 1300hp so at high flow the charcoal canister could be a restriction to allowing the tank to vent fast enough to allow good fuel flow to the rail.

I guess my new question would be, how do I properly vent the tank and still get the benifits of the 2psi pressure in the tank without actually using the charcoal canister?

If I were to get a 2 psi check valve like in post 2 of this thread and installed it in the rear of the car would that give me a properly vented setup as far as function goes?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Pi had your solution for you.

Use a VSV, like the one that you had on your 7M for EGR, or the heater valve. You can completely replicate the behavior of the ported TB by using a combination of a coolant temp sensor and the TPS. You want to open the VSV when coolant temp is over 35 deg C, and then you use the TPS to switch from there. I believe that you could use the IDL signal line to switch, so it shouldn't be too complicated.