Charcoal Canister/ Engine Bay cleanup...

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
Quick question, what is the purpose of this charcoal canister, and is there a way I can do with out? Or maybe put something more atractive in that spot. Im trying to find ways to clean up this engine bay any tips let me know...

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Catches gas vapors from the fuel tank and also keeps the fuel tank under a little pressure i believe. Mostly for emissions purposes and if you have emissions and remove this can, you will most likely not pass.
But if you want to ditch it, remove it and cap off the vac line at the TB, run a piece of hose from the line comming from the fuel tank(that went into the can) down into your fender well. There is a little black grommet that a piece of hose will fit perfectly into that gose under the car. The purpose of that is to keep gas vapor out of your engine bay.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
More attractive like what? A statue of Buddha? The EVAP cannister is there to adsorb tank fuel vapor so it doesn't go out into the environment. If you remove it (a pox on you) be sure to vent the tank somehow and cap off the port on the throttle body.

Unrelated but both the guys in your avatar are friends of mine. At least Les is. Last I heard his kid is driving ShockWave these days...

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
jetjock;924924 said:
More attractive like what? A statue of Buddha?

Hehe :)

I stripped and painted my CC as well as the bracket, looks pretty sharp now, I guess I don't see at as an eyesore like some guys do...

I've heard of people getting a CC from a different car, i think it's from a MK4 possibly? Can't remember, but it's a smaller canister that apparently you can hide in the wheel well. This is just a fuzzy memory from surfing the forums though :biglaugh:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You could also get a Supra JDM cannister and mount in the passenger wheel well. That will get it out of the bay and the system still function as intended...win-win.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
RedEj8;924923 said:
Catches gas vapors from the fuel tank and also keeps the fuel tank under a little pressure i believe. Mostly for emissions purposes and if you have emissions and remove this can, you will most likely not pass.
But if you want to ditch it, remove it and cap off the vac line at the TB, run a piece of hose from the line comming from the fuel tank(that went into the can) down into your fender well. There is a little black grommet that a piece of hose will fit perfectly into that gose under the car. The purpose of that is to keep gas vapor out of your engine bay.

I took mine out and still passed emmissions. Cat+VPC.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
jdub;924941 said:
You could also get a Supra JDM cannister and mount in the passenger wheel well. That will get it out of the bay and the system still function as intended...win-win.

You must have read my mind! Or maybe I read yours ;)

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
Thanks everyone those are great ideas. I think im going to cap it off. Do to the fact that I don't really have true emission test. Thanks

jetjock: I go see shockwave everytime it comes to VA for an airshow. How cool is it to drive a truck with 3 jet engines pushing it down a track...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I have a similar question...when I got my car, the 1JZ swap was already done, with the CC in place, and the line 'to tank' still attached, with the 'purge' line venting to the atmosphere.

Is this legit/safe? I don't smell fuel under the hood, and was wondering if my CC was doing its job or not...

-Maniac-

They call me Nate.
Aug 25, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I am at the end of a rebuild myself. I tried taking off the canister to clean up the engine bay too. I removed the canister, and I put a cap on the end of the line. The engine ran just fine. Only problem came the next day. For one, when I remove the gas cap to fill the tank, the escaping pressure was WAY more than normal. Plus, the pressure ended up shooting the line cap off like a little bullet. I was working under the hood with the engine running, and the thing suddenly shot right at me. Good thing it was a rubber cap. :icon_bigg

Long story short, the extra looks aren't worth the tank pressure. I don't know if it would hurt anything, but I'm not taking any chances. If I end up hating the canister bad enough, I'll figure something out. But that much tank pressure can't be good...

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not just excess tank pressure. It can also be vacuum. Great example is the F-body that lost on Pinks. Car Craft got ahold of it anc acouldn't figure out why it was so damn slow for it's mods when everything checked out right.

They took the gas cap off and dropped their 1/4 by 2 seconds (not exagerating). It was going lean and thankfully the engine was stout as hell. Do that with boost and say good by to your pistons...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Wow...I didn't realize excessive pressure was really a problem...The gas cap on my supra is always under a TON of pressure when it is hot out and i've been driving for a while...like the gas cap will FLY off if I unscrew it too fast. When fueling up, I usually just unscrew it slightly and wait until the hissing stops...usually after about 30 seconds. One guy at a gas station even commented about the noise LOL.

I have a feeling a vent line is clogged.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Only # 26? ;)

It's simple. The stock fuel system is sealed to prevent evaporated hydrocarbons from leaking out. That means two problems must be dealt with:

1) As fuel is drawn out of the tank air must come in to prevent fuel starvation and keep the atmosphere from crushing the tank. That air enters through a check valve in the gas cap.

2) Pressure in the tank will build from fuel vaporization caused by ambient heat and hot fuel being returned from the engine. That vapor is routed to the charcoal cannister where it's adsorbed to be later burned in the engine. The cannister has a valve that blocks this flow until tank pressure is 2 psi or greater.

Finally, for those in California pressure testing of the EVAP system up to but not including the cannister is now required on the smog test, beginning this year.