charcoal canister delete on the mk3 bad?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1986.5supra_kid;1883918 said:
hot topic! so i guess i need to plumb that big ugly bastard back in there. and egr? my FFIM doesnt have a port for this application so ill be using a block off. i highly doubt this egr is a big ordeal seeing as more fuel cools the motor and inert gases just take up space for combustion also reducing heat-power.

Might want to look up how EGR works and why it's important on a stock ECU...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
SideWinderGX;1883812 said:
...thinking that us pesky little humans can obliterate the environment by running without a cat is the most egotistical thing I've ever heard.

One ant can't do much, but an army of ants can clean the flesh off your bones in no time.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have had a HUGE problem finding a smaller cc with a check valve. I found a couple from a Kia that were a tiny bit smaller. The valves were not noticeably pressure sensitive, but they did have a check valve.

At this point I'd pay some serious $$ for a fully functional, smaller charcoal canister.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
rodama5anthony;1883972 said:
hey IJ, regarding egr block off, i found this thread

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?20583-Billet-EGR-block-off-plate-for-back-of-cylinder-head

were you "endorsed" (lack for a better word) AZ in making this block off. AZ refers to a thread by Cnew with info on, im assuming, why that style of block off is better. can you point me in the direction of said thread so i can read for myself?

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ff-plate-from-a-jdm-head&highlight=cnewingham

suprarx7nut;1883977 said:
I have had a HUGE problem finding a smaller cc with a check valve. I found a couple from a Kia that were a tiny bit smaller. The valves were not noticeably pressure sensitive, but they did have a check valve.

At this point I'd pay some serious $$ for a fully functional, smaller charcoal canister.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The JDM CC is an option, I bought one new a few years back.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
You'll get tired of the fuel smell after you park, best to just install a canister. I still haven't done it on my car though, and I can't say I've had any problems. I do wonder about it's positive effect on fuel consumption though. It recovers the vapors, and then expels them into the engine to be burned, which will result in the fuel injectors needing to inject that much less fuel once the oxygen sensor reacts to the additional vapors being burned (a few milliseconds after the purge valve opens). I doubt it's worth more than 0.1mpg, but I've always wondered. I'm getting a pretty consistent 16.8mpg average with my car lately, so I'm up for any extra economy.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
All I will say is many of the components of these cars were designed to used for a reason. Tapering with them can and will hold some negative consequences so I personally am just either upgrading (aftermarket cc) or leaving it alone. All of this is with the exception of my removing my cat.....hey I live in Alabama, have to fit in with the crowd haha jk.:icon_razz
But seriously dyno shop + no cat or exhaust filter= can't breath. High flow units will not kill you.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I removed my charcoal can. And the whole metal line leading back to the gas tank. Then I routed the rubber vent hose coming off the gas tank so that it would be higher than the tank. I got a differential breather from a Toyota pickup and shoved it into the end of the hose. It seems to me that the tank will have to build up a little bit of pressure in order to open the bleeder. I'm not saying it's right or even healthy for the entire system. But I did it so I could delete my charcoal can under the hood and also have a bit of pressure in the tank. As for the fumes bleeding off into the open air... not sure but there might even be a small filter in the breather..?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
aem standalone, 550cc inj, holset hx35, dm.com 1jz intercooler kit, wideband, aem iat, aem 3.5 bar, q45 TB, 3'' mandrel bent, 2.4mm mhg,arp studs,npr rings,acl race bearings.

guess ill hook that ugly bastard back up, but egr will most likely be removed. will continue research.....

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
aem standalone, 550cc inj, holset hx35, dm.com 1jz intercooler kit, wideband, aem iat, aem 3.5 bar, q45 TB, 3'' mandrel bent, 2.4mm mhg,arp studs,npr rings,acl race bearings.

guess ill hook that ugly bastard back up, but egr will most likely be removed. will continue research.....

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
How come Cavitation isn't an issue when the car is not at operating temperature, and the BVSV is closed meaning theres no pressure drawn from the gas tank?