Changing Valve Guides.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
Can valve guides be changed with the head attached to the block? I think they are the culprit of my smoke problem that I have been trying to hunt forever lies with the valve guides.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
tte said:
The smoke could mean its the valve seals too...

Cheers,
Roy

Those were just changed with some cheapo ones. Could be them... but I highly doubt that... it smokes a lot on startup.. Lucas+20w-50 helped it.. but still getting the smoke.

KINGPIN33

Apr 3, 2005
Canada
So you can't change the valve guides without taking the cylinder head off... Damn... Means I have to tear it apart yet again.

I know the downfalls of lucas and its effects. I'm just finding a temporary solution until I can get those guides changed.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
KINGPIN33 said:
So you can't change the valve guides without taking the cylinder head off... Damn... Means I have to tear it apart yet again.

I know the downfalls of lucas and its effects. I'm just finding a temporary solution until I can get those guides changed.
Well, at least you can secure that tear down with your temporary solution.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Nick M said:
If the seals are installed incorrectly, they will leak just like old ones.
so whats the correct way to change these seals? i'm about to do mine. they gave me these 2 short tube sleeve things with my new seals. i was told thats for installation. how do i do it?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
you slip the tube sleeve over the valve so the seal is not torn on instaltion,.

if installin with the head off and apart they are not needed as far as i know,

but the tube's are for when you put compressed air to the cylinder and use it to hold the valve's up while taking off the springs and changing the valve seal.

you could also have bad oil rings, or bad turbo seals..

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
oh so the seal is basically just needed if installing on the car? wouldnt that mean that you can do it then? i have it apart, but for the sake of the topic..