Changing Engine Mounts

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So i can't find anything in the tsrm about the motor mounts.
It's gotta be in there, but i dont see it.

So how hard would it be to swap motor mounts from one pre89 to another?
Is it as easy as holding up the engine, removing bolt, removing mount, reinstall....or what else is involved here?

thanks

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
It has been a while since I have worked on a 7M. I do beleive all you have to do is support the engine and remove the mount. You may have to removed the mount bracket along with the mount. I can see it being a pain to get at everything from the top without removing the downpipe so you may want to plan on doing it from below.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
its pretty straightforward. why do one pre 89 to another pre 89 though? the round ones go bad but i havent seen or heard of a square one going bad..

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Along with doing them with the motor in the car - which looks pretty tough. What is the proper torque specs on the motor mounts. I have searched and searched the TSRM and can't find the spec on them. Seems odd for Toyota to leave something that important out?

I just purchased 98 turbo mounts so I will be doing this soon.

-Dave

Last edited:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
torque on those doesnt really matter, they actually have a guide for the size of bolt / threading etc and how much to torque at the beginning of the tsrm.. as long as its tight and not loose

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
tlo86;1280931 said:
torque on those doesnt really matter, they actually have a guide for the size of bolt / threading etc and how much to torque at the beginning of the tsrm.. as long as its tight and not loose

Yes I have seen the bolt guide but am unsure of the bolt grade to determine the correct torque.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
tlo86;1280796 said:
its pretty straightforward. why do one pre 89 to another pre 89 though? the round ones go bad but i havent seen or heard of a square one going bad..

exactly!
let's just say the supra in for the change has the "wrong" mounts;)

So what's going to be in my way of doing motor mounts with the engine in the car?

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
Iv had to do this before and it was a pain. The driver side wasnt bad and didnt take long. The turbo gets in the way on the passenger side. I ended up pulling the turbo/down pipe out to be able to get to all the bolts. I had to go at it from both top and bottom.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
ahh tarter sauce. that sucks.
Im gonna have to take a look at that, i hope theres a way around it. maybe a special tool i can make or something.. Two bolts right?

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
Oh, I had to change the entire mount where it mounts to block. I thought thats what you were referring to when you said it had the wrong mounts, like the pre 89 mounts.

If you just have to change the rubber part, you might be able to do so without removing the turbo. Yea, its just two nuts you would need to remove.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
ok this "wrong mount" i was talking about is a solid motor mount. This solid mounted car needs stockers. My bad for the confusion..

Pull the bits...you mean there's a threaded rod in the block? sorry, never really looked at it. Can i use two nuts to back it off?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, there's two parts to the motor mount. The mount itself is just a squashed cube with two bolts sticking out of it. It bolts to the subframe on one side, and to a cast aluminum piece on the other side. It's the cast aluminum piece bolts to the block. You'll need to pull the piece off the block as well, or you can't get the mount off.

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
GrimJack;1283887 said:
It's not a problem, I just didn't want to leave everyone with the impression you can pull two nuts per side and it's done. It's actually 2 nuts and ~5 bolts per side.

I did it by just undoing the 2 nuts per mount, but it involved an engine hoist, a pry bar, and a moderate amount of swearing lol. Also, on the pre89 cars, it's not a cast a aluminum mount bracket. It's a welded steel bracket.

Collin

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
GrimJack;1281556 said:
and to a cast aluminum piece on the other side. It's the cast aluminum piece bolts to the block.

got_boosted;1283900 said:
Also, on the pre89 cars, it's not a cast a aluminum mount bracket. It's a welded steel bracket.

Collin

Correct, pre '89 cars have a steel engine mount brackets.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i just loosened the nuts on both mounts and the tranny mounts. then i took my floor jack and jacked up the side that needed to be changed. i left the bracket thats bolted to the motor on there. pretty easy. just take a look at it and you can figure it out