Centralia or Bust! ......Delilahs build

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
I can be there if you can bring your dremel and fix my wastegate ;). I need to complete the exhaust before I can make that long of a drive in it... Right now ear plugs aren't even really enough.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Picked up a new head since mine fell casualty to electrolysis around the water jackets. It has quite a few miles on it according to the previous owner but the gasket surface should clean up with only a few thou and the jackets are perfect. For the price and how long I'v been looking for one locally I couldn't pass it up.

Attachments

• DSCF5249.JPG
    DSCF5249.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 10

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I pulled the valve covers and cams today, found the usual. Scoring on the cams and caps. The journals on the head are perfectly smooth though. Im not all that happy with the way the cams look. Why is it the first journal behind the main always shows the most wear, it sees oil first????

p1337873_1.jpg

I know in the pics it looks pretty normal but if you look at the edge profile you can see how deep the scoring is. Its worse than the others I have taken apart.

p1337873_2.jpg

I think I will pull the cams off the other head tomorrow and see if they look any better.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
where did all that dirt on the cam lobes come from? im assuming this thing sat without the covers on for a while.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I think that is from me, I set the cams down on a dirty bench. I just finished smoothing out a set of valve covers so needless to say there was aluminum everywhere. I didn't get a chance to pull my other head apart and check the cams in it today like I hoped so....tomorrow.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Good news! cams and caps from the other head look much better, I had to work most of the day, and afterwards went to a show and almost had to throw down with some little punk bitches:icon_evil so thats all I had time to do. Tomorrow I have the whole day with Delilah:naughty: so progress and pics tomorrow I promise!

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
mattsplat72;1340571 said:
I have a set of really clean cams in motor maybe two months before I switched them for the BC cams. They had just came back from the Machine shop after a BHG fix . LMK if you need them.

I think the set I pulled out of the other head will work out for me, but I'll keep it in mind and appreciate the offer matt

CajunKenny;1340605 said:
Pics of this? :naughty:

I wasnt planning on putting any up until they are worked out some more, Im hitting them with a candy translucent powdercoat so they have to be fully polished :sonic:

But for you kenny, I guess I can shoot some tomorrow;)

SO

Today I got started on the head,

I did have a valve spring compressor that would work with our heads so.................. I made one. Started with a large C clamp, some chromed stainless tubing and a washer and ended up with this.

p1341237_1.jpg
p1341237_2.jpg
p1341237_3.jpg

Worked pretty well, I think it took maybe 10 min to get the whole head disassembled once I got this finished.

p1341237_4.jpg

I was weary of changing to a different set of caps, Thats one thing I usually try not to swap but the set from the other head show hardly any wear. Of course I plasti-gage the head with the better cams and caps. The main/ supply caps came back on the tight side while all the rest cam in within the normal limits. I think the largest clearance was around 28 thou. I think I will moly coat the journals so that should even bring the clearances down a tad more.

p1341237_5.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Well get that thing done! I wanna see it :D

Kenny, a bit delayed but ask and you shall receive
p1349455_1.jpg
p1349455_1.jpg
p1349455_3.jpg

They are still pretty rough but the majority of the work is done, now they just need polished up.

Heres what the jackets and surface of my new head look like.

p1349455_4.jpg
p1349455_5.jpg
p1349455_6.jpg

This is the worst of the ring grooving. Looks worse in the photo due to the staining. I think 3 thou should be enough to clean it up so it really isn't much at all.

Heres a shot of the old head for comparison.

p1349455_7.jpg

Pretty bad electrolysis going on as you can see. It only affected the exhaust side coolant jackets. It really sucks because the head surface isnt too bad at all, it has never been shaved, its not warped and I checked the hardness for the hell of it and it passed.

Here how good the intake side jackets look for comparison.

p1349455_8.jpg

I know I'v been slacking but more updates soon!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I love the valve covers! I've been wanting to do that from some time. I'll probably hit you up for some tips and what tools you used and such... ;)

As far as the head goes....I've seen better. I haven't inspected it yet; but, I might have a spare head in better shape. It was an extra that came with my 89.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
kwnate;1350324 said:
What do you know about progress? Found your 1jz clip yet?

:word8kn:

But Luis don't you dare go 1J on me!!!

Kenny, I think I will stick with this head, but I will let you know if that changes. It passed the harness test, is straight an although the surface looks bad (mostly because I havent cleaned it all since it will be surfaced) It will take <4Ks to clean it up. Plus It already has port work.