Carbon Fiber

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Howdy folks,

I have a stock, untouched (except for new fog lights) '89 Supra MKIII with Targa.

One day, I was trying to get that pesky Targa off by myself, and was having lots of troubles. Not that it's heavy, it's just very awkward for me.

So I had the idea that carbon fiber would not only look cool, but be very functional too!

I did some hunting around, and after some searching I found a person that could make me a complete carbon fiber Targa for $400 - just hot-swap it in, no hardware changes required.

However, would this look silly on my white Supra?

Supra3.jpg

Also, another question: What about a Carbon-fiber hood?

How easy is it to remove the hood in the first place?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
You can get it painted to match your Supra. I have a picture of a white one with the CF targa painted white. If I can figure out how to put photos on here I will toss it on here for ya.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
It looks pretty good, ive seen one in person. Tho without a targa in CF

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

lol oh yeahh ive got carbon fiber wrap! half the price of the hood alone lmk if u may be interested

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Okay, final question:

How hard would it be to replace the hood with a CF one? I noticed my hood has heat protection on the underside, etc. Does it simply bolt off, or is there more to it?

I'm mechanically-inclined when it comes to maintaining a vehicle, but not when it comes to switching out parts.

Thanks for your time!

kamikazemkiii;1625499 said:
lol oh yeahh ive got carbon fiber wrap! half the price of the hood alone lmk if u may be interested

What is a CF wrap?

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
For the hood, I haven't seen a really good stock drop-in replacement. The stock hood has the latch, struts, and underside insulation that bolt up to the underside of the hood's frame. I'd love to find a carbon fiber hood that would function 100% like stock. Hood struts and everything.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen a really good, 100% drop in replacement in CF.

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
suprarx7nut;1625513 said:
For the hood, I haven't seen a really good stock drop-in replacement. The stock hood has the latch, struts, and underside insulation that bolt up to the underside of the hood's frame. I'd love to find a carbon fiber hood that would function 100% like stock. Hood struts and everything.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen a really good, 100% drop in replacement in CF.

You raise very good points.

I've done some thinking about it, and there seems to be more negatives than positives to a CF hood.

However, I am totally going to get a CF Targa. -- Cool looking, functional and practical! :3

Edit:

Plus it saves me a pile of cash and a lot of hassle, too!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Is it just a CF skin where the top of the car would be on the standard metal targa panel? Or is the structure of the thing also made of CF? The stock one only weighs what, 25-30lbs tops? Only time I've ever had trouble with it is when the Wyoming wind is blowing like crazy, and I'm not all that tall or long-reached...

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Keep in mind that most reasonably priced CF auto parts out there are just a single layer of CF, and a bunch of fiberglass. Also probably not RTM and in lots of cases not even bagged. Weight savings is going to be minimal if that's your main goal. Looks is another story, but you'll need more than just a CF targa or your going to have one out of place black spot on your car.

kamikazemkiii;1625540 said:
Its a thin vynal layer that is made to look like carbon fiber without the cost.

3M Di-Noc for $200? Don't waste your time, if you just want the look I could wrap your targa in CF for that price. Besides that stuff just looks like textured vinyl, not CF.