car wont start??

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
so my 89t wont start up. right when i turn the key the time on the dashboard fades away and nothin cranks over. i connected the wires that need to be connected for it to turn over because the harness (and engine)was from 91t w/ an auto trans. and there are a few plugs that have not be hooked up as well but ive got most of them. any ideas?? much help appreciated

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
I had the same thing happen to me when i put my engine back in. Bro in law recommend making sure the water temp sensor was connected. Made connection and she fired right up.

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
satx88supra;1869484 said:
I had the same thing happen to me when i put my engine back in. Bro in law recommend making sure the water temp sensor was connected. Made connection and she fired right up.

i disconnected it and connected it, tried to clean it up a lil
bit and no luck bro. i dont kno what it is. did u have extra plugs still by the ecu??

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
jetjock;1869489 said:
^ How could that prevent cranking?

Believe me .....it happened. Car wouldn't do a thing. Just a click...no turn over...just click. Plugged the water temp sensor in (not the cold start one on top of the thermostat housing) and cranked right up. There is an explanation somewhere on here about it.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
jetjock;1869539 said:
As long as you understand one event had nothing to do with the other. If not I'd still like an answer to my question.

Honestly can't give you an answer. I was in the same boat as the op. Just giving him a situation about me and what was suggested to me.....which worked so i didn't question it. Just happy the car ran even if it was Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
If you have an auto harness then you will need to bypass the neutral start switch so the engine knows it's not in gear when you're trying to start it.
If you have bypassed then check the starter wire, ensure it's getting signal from the ign switch.

Satx, I would say you bumped something else that then caused the car to start, the standard water temp sender doesn't control anything at the ecu, it runs directly to your gauge to let you know the water temp.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
As suprra_girl pointed out, check your voltage on the starter signal wire (the small wire that clips in to the starter). Most starters need at least 9V on that line to trigger the starter, if you're getting any significant drop under 12V without it cranking you've got something going on in the circuit itself. Check your grounds, check the connections at each relay/switch along the circuit, spend a little time with the multimeter and it shouldn't take long to figure out. If you want pictures this should help:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=038

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Ok so i looked at my car and the sensors and just wanted to correct myself on the water temp sensor issue. What I realized i ended up plugging in was the ECU coolant sensor.

p1869682_1.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, that's what I assumed you were talking about all along but it still doesn't matter. Unless there was some indirect correlation like bumping something or slamming the hood it had nothing to do with being able to crank the engine. It's as simple as that.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
satx88supra;1869484 said:

Uh? You can disconnect that while the car is running and she will keep running..

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
ill cuhz;1869474 said:
so my 89t wont start up. right when i turn the key the time on the dashboard fades away and nothin cranks over. i connected the wires that need to be connected for it to turn over because the harness (and engine)was from 91t w/ an auto trans. and there are a few plugs that have not be hooked up as well but ive got most of them. any ideas?? much help appreciated

If all your dashboard lights fade away when you try to engage the starter, you've got a weak battery or bad connection.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
IndigoMKII;1869751 said:
If all your dashboard lights fade away when you try to engage the starter, you've got a weak battery or bad connection.

Agreed. My personal plan of attack for this would be:
Check batt. Voltage
Remove both batt. Terminals and clean them very well.
Trace negative from batt to body. Remove and clean.
Trace negative from body to block. Remove and clean.
Trace positive from batt to starter. Remove and clean.
Trace positive from batt to fuse block underhood. Verify the fusible link and the alt fuse are intact and no corrosion on connections.
Check/clean ground connection at intake manifold.

After all that, try to start it. A load test on the batt is a great idea too, if you have the tester. May also, for good measure, put the batt on a trickle charger while cleaning and inspecting you'd wires.

I've had this exact same issue and solved it by replacing the connection from the batt + to the fuse box.

GL!

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The OP is incapable of doing that kind of work. It's why I haven't bothered to try and help him. Have at it though.

Btw you guys know certain things are supposed to "fade away" when cranking right? It's deliberate on most cars. He needs to be more specific.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
jetjock;1869773 said:
The OP is incapable of doing that kind of work. It's why I haven't bothered to try and help him. Have at it though.

Btw you guys know certain things are supposed to "fade away" when cranking right? It's deliberate on most cars. He needs to be more specific.

Yes, Most cars will remove power from many systems during cranking. I'm just assuming that the OP is facing a more common "older & less-than-maintained-car" syndrome of poor electrical connections.

ill cuhz

Dec 23, 2010
Bay Area
suprra_girl;1869570 said:
If you have an auto harness then you will need to bypass the neutral start switch so the engine knows it's not in gear when you're trying to start it.
If you have bypassed then check the starter wire, ensure it's getting signal from the ign switch.

Satx, I would say you bumped something else that then caused the car to start, the standard water temp sender doesn't control anything at the ecu, it runs directly to your gauge to let you know the water temp.

i see, and wher would i be able to find the neutral start shift. is it in one of the connectors on the wire harness?? or is it an actual switch?? thanks for the info btw. much appreciated.