Car starts but dies when stepping on gas even at idle...HELP!!

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
Does anyone know what could cause the car to die even at idling when stepping gas? I just got back into the supra scene. Ive known several problems that can cause this such as vacuum leak and that cps harness. But i've check those and it's none of them, when i drive it it looses a lot of power and the check engine light comes on but when idles it goes away. Sounds like there's an exhaust leak but when idle there's no sign of exhaust leak. Could it be the air mass sensor or coil pack? Could it be the timing too? as was told the timing is off and keeps ending at the bottom instead of being on top and lining up. I just got the car from my cousin who recently bought a 03 celica gts and him nicely gaving it to me knowing im inlove with supras. I cant wait to get this baby running and would be happy if you guys can help me out. Thanks

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
check your codes. It sounds like the AFM is bad. I ran into it once before where the check engine light would not stay on. I was able to track it down by getting the car to die, leaving the key on, where the check engine light should be present and reading codes. Had faulty afm. Do you know if he had ever cleaned it with carb clean? If so 100 % chance it got ruined.

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
I have no idea if my cousin use carb clean but i would not use it, also it seems like the cps is off. So i am going to adjust it right now. the car runs and everything but has no power at all and seems like it does leak or w/e. Well see after i get the cps to line up correct with the timing.

7mgte_supra

The Hmong Guy
Nov 4, 2006
chico, Ca
How can i check the codes when no check engine light is on? it only comes on when u drive it and it boggs like shiiit but when u go neutrual it goes away...

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
just check them the same way. In my case my code was not a hard code and would go away when started. Chances are you have an afm or cps code.