Car stalls after not being turned on for couple days

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I have encountered this problem couple months ago. When i try to turn it on after being off for couple days, it stalls on me. The rpm wont go pass 1k. I had to accelerate it pass 1k to warm it up quicker because it would stall if i left it alone. It gets worse when leaving it for more days wothout turning it on. ? It kinda feels like it gets clogged up with something, but dont know what. ?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Well, now there's three unhelpful comments, but realistically, the OP provides no useful information that anyone could use to provide anything but a WAG response to his problem.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
In all seriousness, my 89 does this too. Kind of sputters on a cold start and it takes a few gentle blips to clear it out. I blame my leaky valve seals. Does it smoke upon startup?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
So much sarcastaball.

Check for blue or black smoke on start up. Does cycling key a few time before cranking help?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
mecevans;1916095 said:
So much sarcastaball.

Check for blue or black smoke on start up. Does cycling key a few time before cranking help?

Cycling the key does what now? The fuel pump doesn't come on til the 'start' sequence is activated.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Yea it starts right. Again, the problem is only when i dont turn it on for 2+ days. It wont rev pass 1k and it'll stall. I'll have to accelerate it past 1k to warm it up so it wont stall on me. Once it gets warmed up a little the problem goes away.

where is the cold start valve and fuel filter located?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
You say it won't rev past 1k and then your next sentence says you have to accelerate past 1k to get it to run so its a bit confusing. Are you able to take a video? Filter is in a real pita spot behind the rear of the subframe but I don't really think that would be it.

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
When i turn it on it wont rev over 1k by itself. i have to rev it to warm it up. I could rev it up 6k+ but i wouldnt do that to a cold engine.

i would take a video but i'll have to not turn on my car for 2+ days

what about the cold start valve?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
alacran1;1916372 said:
When i turn it on it wont rev over 1k by itself. i have to rev it to warm it up. I could rev it up 6k+ but i wouldnt do that to a cold engine.

i would take a video but i'll have to not turn on my car for 2+ days

what about the cold start valve?

There's a cold start injector but that shouldn't affect it like that. If it was leaking it would be a continuous problem.. at least IMO but i'm not a master tech or anything.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No, thats prefectly fine.. just specify engine (assuming 7MGE). They are the same drivetrains, but setup just a little differently. Just good to know is all. The more info you give, the easier the "experts" can advise.