Car Smokes Like a Freight Train!

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
On warm up after its hit a little over the C mark on the temp gauge it starts to smoke a mixture of white/blue smoke comes out and it keeps coming out until its COMPLETELY at operating temperature. It's bad sometimes. Like billows of smoke. But after its at opp temp it barely smokes at all. On warm up my AFRs are around 13.8.

Piston Rings? :(
Valve Stem Seals? :icon_neut
Turbo? :3d_frown:

It's an XS Power turbo and I'm pretty sure I know what some of you may say about it...

I might add that there is wetness coming from the hotside of my turbo onto the CHRA. NOT from the feed line. It's blatantly leaking some moisture from the hotside onto the CHRA.

Any input?

Specs are 2JZ-GE-T with 7M ECU and Harness. T61 XS Power turbo. The engine was completely rebuilt with new valve stem seals, piston rings and a new turbo.

Thanks guys!

-Nick-

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It quits smoking after it warms up? It doesn't smoke when you try to accelerate real fast?
Are you losing any coolant at all? Does is smell like coolant? I dont' know what it is, but I thought I'd ask a few more questions to help the smart people on here.

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
Sometimes you can take off the downpipe to see if oil is leaking...youll know when the blades are sort of wet...

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Would this be when it's completely cold or after its warmed up? Or waiting until its started to smoke then undo the down pipe and check for oil?

Thanks again guys!

-Nick-

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
seems to me that it wouldnt be turbo, because if it was turbo, it would smoke after a pull reguardless of whether or not its warm...

to me it sounds like valve seals. my old celica had bad seals, and it would billow smoke for a bit on startup.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It does sound like the valve seals to me as well. My neighbors car (89 supra) would do the same thing. It would smoke for a few minutes and then wouldn't smoke again all day. It would only smoke the next day when he cranked it again.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Weird update.

The cold weather seems to effect it... This morning it was about 40 outside and I started up my car and I saw little to no smoke at all...

Thoughts?

Also as long as its not my piston rings I'm not too upset :)

-Nick-

P.S. Also something to note, I've never retoruqued these head studs since first assembly. Could that be it? When it starts up cold it stutters for about 5 seconds until it idles up and just fine.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
XofXtimeX;1156196 said:
It's an XS Power turbo and I'm pretty sure I know what some of you may say about it...

I might add that there is wetness coming from the hotside of my turbo onto the CHRA. NOT from the feed line. It's blatantly leaking some moisture from the hotside onto the CHRA.

Any input?

-

That leak from the Hotside (turbine housing) to the CHRA is not good. If you have oil leaking out of there I would say its the turbo. With oil leaking out of that turbine housing that mean that its also inside the housing. When you start the car it take a min for the exhaust, manifold and turbine houing to get hot enough to burn the oil.

You may have a bit of both turbo and bad valve seals. With Valve seal though you will get a puff of smoke each time you let off the gas. Letting off the gas increases the vacume in the intake manifold and pulls oil though the bad valve seals.

Knowing that its a XS Power Turbo I would put my money on that. I have seen many of those with less than 100kms come into the shop compleatly destroyed.

Jeremy

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I have a xs turbo that has about 10k and did the exact same thing. at first I thought it was my valve seals. (my leakdown tester indicated they might be a little leaky so I replaced them. ) Turned out to not be them but it probably didn't hurt changing them either.
I replaced the turbo with a stock turbo, and there's no more smoke. Once I started taking the turbo it became obvious that it was the turbo because when i took off the downpipe, I noticed that a lot of oil had collected at the wastegate flap arm and was dripping out of the turbo.