Car shakes getting out of first

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
So as the title says, when in first gear as I engage the car shakes really bad feels like the wheels are hopping, however it does not do it in other gears. Never had this problem before. However, when I rev it up to 2k rpm or so and let off it isn't as bad or sometimes won't even do it at all. I just got my supra back yesterday and other than the rebuilt engine, I had the shop install a Southbend stage 4 clutch, driftmotion lightweight flywheel, and a one piece shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft. I let the shop owner know and he said that my aluminum driveshaft is what's causing it. I've read up on reviews here regarding the shaftmasters driveshaft and none indicate that they have this issue, so I'm pretty sure it's something else, clutch maybe? Any input/help is very much appreciated.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The clutch disc is warped. Or worn out. There are springs that counter that shake, and they could be old. If you just put in the clutch, it was done wrong. Typically the input shaft is angled and loads the disc, making it lightly warped. That is called chatter in the industry. Talking has nothing to do with it, I didn't think up the name.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The drive shaft normally causes problems at higher revolutions if its too blame, i'm guessing the clutch you have put in is aggressive and you need to get used to it. Try letting the clutch out with no throttle then once its fully engaged give the throttle. My last ceramic button clutch was very aggressive and it took a bit of practice to get it to release right.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Just to get this straight the car only shakes while releasing the clutch right? or does it shake while driving in first?

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Aggressive clutch. Usually 4-6 pucks do this. Takes time to adjust and get used to it. You can also adjust your clutch pedal since disengagement is probably up higher now so you can tighten it so it closer to the floor.

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
Thanks for all the replies you guys.

Wiseco7mgt: Yeah it only happens when I'm getting out of first doesn't do it when I'm driving in gear. However, like I said when I rev it up to about 2k it's noticeable, but not bad at all or it sometimes won't even do it. If I don't gas it enough then that's when it starts to shake like crazy.

Poodles & Superium: You guys are probably right the clutch that I have must be agressive. I guess I'm just gonna have to learn to adjust to it. It just didn't seem normal to me at the time.

Anybody else have experience with the Stage 4 southbend dxd clutch? Do you have this issue as well?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
It just takes time to learn how to use an aggressive clutch, without chatter. Even after you get it down, it will happen sometimes when you have your mind on something else.

I have found that if you go from not engaged to fully engaged, quickly, the chatter goes away. Its the slipping of the clutch when it happens, think of more of a "launch" than a gradual take off.

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
Yeah that's what I've noticed. I bring the revs up just slightly higher than normal, and release the clutch a little quicker and it really isn't all that bad or won't even do it. It's just gonna take time to adjust to.

mkiiichip;1702315 said:
It just takes time to learn how to use an aggressive clutch, without chatter. Even after you get it down, it will happen sometimes when you have your mind on something else.

I have found that if you go from not engaged to fully engaged, quickly, the chatter goes away. Its the slipping of the clutch when it happens, think of more of a "launch" than a gradual take off.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
With my clutch it was pretty much on or off not a lot of in between so i used to let the revs drop low then quickly engage clutch then gas it as i let off the last 1/4, used to have pretty much no vibration at all and also didn't excessively wear the clutch plate. If you rev it a lot it it will wear fast.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You'll get used to it. I can drive my car like any other manual (keep myself on hills with clutch and gas, etc). Was always fun having someone else drive it though, they always stall it out :p

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
Thanks everyone for your fast responses. I've finally got use to it, I found the ideal clutch/gas balance to the point where it minimally does it or won't even do it at all. Again, thank you guys for all your help.

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
I know it's only been a short time since I've got my clutch installed, but I like it. I have the southbend dxd stage 4 clutch, got it from suprasport.com

spooln6cyl

Mar 28, 2011
Auburn CA
Hey guys Ive just come to experience this same problem. Ive owned the car for only a month now and just took it out the other day for about a 1 1/2 hour drive (longest since ive owned it). Everything went well but when i got in it the next day i had this same issue. Everyhting drivetain related is stock as far as i know. All parts are probably original seeing as how the car only has 82k miles. It seems that when i hit boost i dont get any real initial BOOST feeling now as well, like i did before my lengthy drive. All suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. thanks

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
What clutch did you have before you replaced it? what kind after?

RazoE;1704566 said:
I had this problem with a brand new clutch, turns out it was warped and wore unevenly, replaced it with a QUALITY one, and it's been perfect ever since..

M_31_07

Jan 18, 2009
San Jose, CA
I currently have a southbend stage 4 clutch paired with driftmotions 1JZ lightweight flywheel. It's only been a little over a week since I got my clutch/flywheel installed, but I'm looking to replace it already. It only happens getting out of first, but the vibration isn't bad/or won't even happen at all unless I'm going over a speed bump or going up a driveway then thats when it acts up. Do you have a lightened flywheel? How does your Exedy behave getting out of first or going over a speed bump/driveway?