Car Paint issue!!!!!! Help!!!!!

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
I need some help. What Im shooting for is eventually to vinyl wrap it, but the issue is that it looks like at has a $100 paint job from macco that took 12 minutes to do. The paint has "dimples" as if it was not cleaned off properly and was just painted over. The original paint shows from some cracking and peeling from the newer paint. The original paint was a light blue and from the small examples I can see it does not look like it was prepped at all!!!!!!

My question is, Is it salvageable for an inexperienced person with body work? I mean if I wet sand it and apply rubbing compound enough times can I get these little ( many ) dimples out? If I burn through the clear coat am I fucked?

I honestly don't want to have to pay for any sort of prep work. I just want it nice and smooth for when it is wrapped!!!!

Thanks ~HOVA~

Will take pics up close if needed!!!!!!!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why would you want to vinyl wrap the car?

be much better to just prep the car your self and take it to macco and get a 500$ paint job. A lot of the money into paint is prep. IF you do that your self its cuts down the cost of the actual spray.

Post up some pics but i highly doubt your going to be able to wet sand dimples out.

If its just orange peel from never being cut and buffed afterwards ya you could but with out any pics its hard to say.

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
pagii;1732429 said:
vinyl wrap ftl.
Thanks... -_-

hvyman;1732431 said:

be much better to just prep the car your self and take it to macco and get a 500$ paint job. A lot of the money into paint is prep. IF you do that your self its cuts down the cost of the actual spray.

Post up some pics but i highly doubt your going to be able to wet sand dimples out.

If its just orange peel from never being cut and buffed afterwards ya you could but with out any pics its hard to say.

I want to wrap it because Well I never see it. Not even really at the many car shows I go to. It's cheaper than a $5k paint job, its less susceptible to scratches. Its does't need to be blended when scratched, just the area can be re wrapped.

Well I guess I'll take some up close pics tomorrow to see what im talking about.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You never see it cause paint looks 10x better.

You can make a cheap paint job look good if your prep it your self. Maybe go to the macco or something and talk to one of the painters. See if he does side work. That way if you buy the paint and pay him 500 that 500 goes into his pocket vs majority going to the company. He will do a better job that way.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well wrapped car you won't know it's wrapped...

On the OP's questions though. If it's single stage, you can easily get it smooth. If it's 2 stage, it's not going to be easy. Plus, you might have it continue chipping off :(

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
Suprapowaz!(2);1732439 said:
How much does it cost to wrap an entire car?

I was quoted around $1,500-$2,000, but it can also be financed through the company which is the Plus for me in my position.

Also I do think it looks good and If I do it I'll be different.
SubaruWRXSTi_12PointSignWorks%20med-resized-600.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Vinyl wrap is ONLY to change the look of a car while protecting the original paint, i.e. like the flat or satin paint fad these days.

If your paint isn't that great, skip the vinyl and get it painted correctly.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You could walk into any collision center, talk to a painter, and get him to do a side job for $1500. He's a professional, does it for a living on a daily basis, you'll get professional results, and not pay the body shop's overhead ($5000).
You will not get a warranty though.
Times are tough right now, and painters are doing side jobs pretty cheap.

Do not just waltz into a body shop and ask the shop manager to talk to a painter to do a side job. That won't work. I would go to some car shows and start talking to people. One thing guys like to do is talk about their pride and joy. One by one go to each car, compliment them on their paint job, and ask who painted their car. I will guarantee you will walk outta their with at least 5 numbers of painters that do side jobs. Contact them. If they're too busy, or too expensive ask if they know someone else who does paint jobs on the side. Like birds of a feather, painters flock together. They know other people.
Start saving your money. You could get a very nice paint job for a fraction of the body shop price.

Or you could try this. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
Suprapowaz!(2);1732461 said:
You could walk into any collision center, talk to a painter, and get him to do a side job for $1500. He's a professional, does it for a living on a daily basis, you'll get professional results, and not pay the body shop's overhead ($5000).
You will not get a warranty though.
Times are tough right now, and painters are doing side jobs pretty cheap.

Do not just waltz into a body shop and ask the shop manager to talk to a painter to do a side job. That won't work. I would go to some car shows and start talking to people. One thing guys like to do is talk about their pride and joy. One by one go to each car, compliment them on their paint job, and ask who painted their car. I will guarantee you will walk outta their with at least 5 numbers of painters that do side jobs. Contact them. If they're too busy, or too expensive ask if they know someone else who does paint jobs on the side. Like birds of a feather, painters flock together. They know other people.
Start saving your money. You could get a very nice paint job for a fraction of the body shop price.

Or you could try this. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html
Sorry for the crappy pics that came from my crappy Iphone.
You can some what see it withg in the glare from the sun. All of the little dots.
p1732741_1.jpg

p1732741_2.jpg

Again crappy pic, but you can see it if you look close.
Thanks actually a very intresting read!!!!.... Yea, I asked my body shop for a quote and they said around $4000, and thats with an employee discount!!!! (also not very good work, from what i've seen.) I ment to ask around but I never got around to it. Funny that you mention all of this and by just opening my mouth at work one person is going to introduce me to someone at a meet tomorrow that suppose to be very very good. I also just happen to catch another friend of mine that does body work and he told me that I should be able to "smooth" it out, but I just have to be very careful.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
FlawLessHOVA;1732453 said:
I was quoted around $1,500-$2,000, but it can also be financed through the company which is the Plus for me in my position.

Also I do think it looks good and If I do it I'll be different.
SubaruWRXSTi_12PointSignWorks%20med-resized-600.jpg

You're going into debt to get a 20 year old car painted?

What do you think your $2000 paint job is going to end up costing with interest?

FlawLessHOVA

May 9, 2011
MA
^^^Honestly I know I'm getting ahead of my self. But it's my mentality right now just being eager.( can you blame me ) I'm just getting back on my feet again financially as I was making a car payment that I could barley afford with insurence... If I am to finance that amount it honestly won't phase me as much to pay $150-200 a month. ( when I'm back on my feet) it's all speculation at this point with this car..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats going to take like 3 years to pay off. Id just forget about it till you have money.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
I wouldn't worry about it.

I have hundreds of deep chips all over my hood... But you can't tell unless you are bending over the hood.

p1732829_1.jpg

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
hvyman;1732431 said:

+1 I would say just do the prep work yourself and get a Maaco job or find someone that could do all the bodywork for you on the side.

Financing a vinyl wrap seems like a waste of time.