Car not starting randomly? READ THIS (30 Amp Starter Relay Mod)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
jetjock;1684362 said:
Sorry, assuming you had the typical symptom of click-no-crank the manifold grounds aren't related. A crank-no-start would be a different story altogether...

my starter wouldnt click period, it was a very intermittent problem and only ever happened on occasion. Lets say for example id drive my car to my moms place to drop something off. I turn off the car go do my business which wouldnt take more than a few minuetes, come back out and try to start the car and it wouldnt do anything. Starter had the contacts replaced by me for good measure when i first replaced it. After waiting a few min the car would crank and start fine. Ive narrowed it down that it only does this if i try to start the car a few minuetes after ive driven it. It doesnt happen all the time but most of the time it does. Like i said what i did may or may not have done anything as you said it probably didnt but so far its been good (im trying not to jinx myself). Ill go back to the EWD to see if i can find anything else.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
JD: Not only does correlation not imply causation but unless the wiring has been changed schematics don't lie. Click or not Ground Point B has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

JDMMA70;1684257...after reading Jetjocks and 3p's post i decided to give their advice/hints a try....[/QUOTE said:
When it comes back actually try them. That way you can avoid admitting, even boasting, how some old car was smarter than you...

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
This would be a great fix for anyone who's got a soarer 1JZ wired up with the wiring instructions in the "how-to wire a soarer 1JZ into an 87" sticky on this site. Those instructions have you running that heavy 10ga starter wire that goes to the starter solenoid through a tiny 18 or 20 ga wire in the soarer engine harness. The soarer has the starter relay under the hood, so the starter trigger wire is much smaller. My car was having fits trying to start till I figured out the cause.

I didn't see this thread till now though, I just fixed mine by running a new 10ga wire from the body plugs to the starter solenoid. Works fine now. I'd imagine that error in the "how to" is responsible for alot of burned up 1JZ starters. If I ever have any more problems I'll definitely wire up a relay like this. Maybe an OEM MKIV or SC300 relay could be used?

kicknsupra

May 22, 2008
PG BC
i have a 88 auto canadain that would not start last year when i parked it would just click
so i charged up the bat and after a 7 or so trys it started

let it run for a bit now it starts after 2 or so trys do you think its the starter or something else like the relay or wiring?

i had a used tranny put in last year and it has play in the shifter and i have to have in the the right place or it wont click at all i have new bushing to fix still have to do it but i dont think that would make to starter just click?

Last edited:

dragondriver5

Mar 5, 2011
North Idaho
I'll see if I can help out here.. but I just went through this whole ordeal. The thing was, I tried three starters and they all had the same problem. I was able to rule out it being a relay, or a bad ground, or the ignition by testing the starter outside the car with jumper cables and a battery. Once in the car then I would just get a single "CLICK"

After two days of messing with it I finally tested my positive battery cable by putting the jumper cable on the end where it would normally go to the starter and then testing it outside of the car like I had before. CLICK. Ah ha! Bad starter cable. The funny thing about this, and the reason it took me so long to find was that this cable was nearly new. Neither end had corrosion, however it was apparently very corroded on the inside of it.

So maybe that will help someone out here :)

Whosoever

Lurker
Sep 15, 2007
Southern California
So my car is pulling a code 43 and it often leaves me stranded. When I turn the key to start, I hear the relay "click" and thats it. I let the key turn back a bit and try it again and sometimes it will crank but its slow doing it. My question is does code 43 mean that my starter is bad or slowly dying? Thanks in advance.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
So guys, I have the relay in and it's starting to do click starts again. Sometimes it'll take a lot of clicks for it to turn over, and it tries to start then dies. The try after that it fires up. What is the deal?

frankindank

Sep 4, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I just had the no start problem and
first thing i saw was this thread. I
just got done with the relay and no
problems at all, cranks everytime!
thanks!

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
I had this problem once...tried the relay idea and it worked, but I didn't like the way it looked. Decided the best fix was just to swap out the motor with a 2JZGTE. Problem solved!

photo.jpg

Best,

Brad

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
jetjock;1751175 said:
I never had the no start problem and
last thing I needed was this thread. I
never did the relay and no
problems at all, cranked everytime!
No thanks!

Basically what JJ is saying (and has been said in this thread multiple times, but no one bothers to read through 14 pages) is this is not a solution to the problem. This is a bandaid fix. You are still relying on the same circuit to trigger your new one, so if you lose enough voltage on that original starting line, you'll end up right where you started. Just trying to make it clear :icon_razz

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Greek;1708245 said:
So guys, I have the relay in and it's starting to do click starts again. Sometimes it'll take a lot of clicks for it to turn over, and it tries to start then dies. The try after that it fires up. What is the deal?

Check your connections, probably a loose one or one with bad contact points.

Apr 6, 2009
Az
Customer had random, increasing frequency no-start problem,
found this thread first, bought relay, pigtail, etc.,
found "50" wire hanging loosly on terminal,
plucked it off with light pull, squished it a bit,
fought like Tyson to re-install.
Problem solved.
Thanks.

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Would this relay mod potentially work in my MKIII with an Aristo 2JZGTE swap? I had the same issues, click click click...start. I looked at the wiring in my car and it didn't seem to line up with some of the diagrams that have been posted in this thread. Any input would help.

Thanks.

Ben