car is dumping white smoke.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
OK so earlier today my car was overheating I found out it was low on water so I added some and it hadn't over heated since. I drove the car about 20miles fine turned it off for about 2hours and came outside turned it on and it was dumping tons of white Somme for about 2blocks and went away completely for my 20 mile drive home I got home and it seemed fine....

Only known proplem is a leak in my intercooler set up on top. (Still stock) causes car to studder and sound like a miss in the exhaust at idle only. The idle stays steady rpms.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
To me thats exactly what it sounds like.. I wouldn't run it any more and make sure there is no water in the oil, otherwise you'll have a spun rod bearing before you can blink your eyes if you keep driving it.. Do a leak down test though

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
you rent a special tool that screws into the rad cap with a pump and a gauge. you pump up the system to 15 psi and see if it holds or drops, and it fill force collant out at the leak.

but if your burning white its a headgasket as your burning collant.

another way to tell is pull your plugs out, disable the fuel pump and crank engine over, if you leaking collant it will spary out the cylender, but you should see water on the plug when you pull it

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
How much is it to get a head machined on avg? And going with a stock head gasket isn't gonna make me run into problems in the future again? When I start Modding the car more? I know torque it above specs helps but will it last?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
When I was looking at machine work local shops here were gonna charge around $450 for a complete head job (helicoil exhaust, change stem seals, grind valves/seats...).

I ended up rebuilding it myself and just using a Toyota gasket, ARP studs, viton stem seals, Comp Cams springs, and the Driftmotion exhaust stud kit.
It ran me right at $1000 total including the DM downpipe and misc expenses (timing light, timing belt/tensioner, various gaskets, valve spring tool, couple of valve keepers...).

Stock gasket won't cause future problems if:
The head isn't warped
You use ARP hardware torqued down properly
You don't plan on 500+ hp

UT93sc300

Jul 18, 2010
Ohio (Tol/Cle)
The head machining isn't whats going to cost you, its the work to get the head off (if you're having a shop do all of it). I did the work my self and a hot tank and machining cost about $40 (don't quote me on that).

You can use a stock headgasket up to a certain point of modding, it all depends on how far you are going to boost it. If you are going to get a bigger turbo and such, you should probably get a metal HG. But if you do that, you should get the block decked too.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
mkiii222;1649735 said:
Stock gasket won't cause future problems if:
The head isn't warped
You use ARP hardware torqued down properly
You don't plan on 500+ hp

Usually just getting the head machined is anywhere from 80.00-120.00 then having them rebuild it ect costs more..

Here is mine after I got it done..

p1649739_1.jpg

p1649739_2.jpg

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Sorry to hear that man, same thing happened to me as well. The work itself pulling the head off is not that bad. Just take your time and the other posters on here have some excellent info, just depends on what you intend to do with the car.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
IIRC align boring the cam journals is also critical after you machine a head like that. What you end up with is a banana shaped cam journal alignment with a flat bottom if you don't.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
This unfortunately is my only vehicle. And I'm afraid I might not be mechanically inclined for all that.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

But I definitely can't afford a shop to do it.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
you can, the wireing harness is diff from 89 up, so some sensors may need to be switched.

but unless its had the headgasket done it will blow eventually aswell

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Devin LeBlanc;1649739 said:
Usually just getting the head machined is anywhere from 80.00-120.00 then having them rebuild it ect costs more..

]

Kinda expensive. Never paid more than 40 for pressure check and machine. Not for mhg tho.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Turbo Habanero;1649843 said:
This unfortunately is my only vehicle. And I'm afraid I might not be mechanically inclined for all that.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Poor choice for a daily driver. Your options are:
1. Sell the Supra and buy a different car
2. Fix the BHG.
3. Swap the motor.
If you swap the motor, keep the old one and replace the BHG on it, so when the other one blows, you can swap the original back in. In any case, you will be without a car at some point.
-AM3